What to do if you only have white heat lamps

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
I don't have any colored lights, as I read about in another forum. My chicks take naps often and when the house is quiet they sleep. Do I really need a colored light or no?

Last edited by a moderator:
JMHO...but no. You do not have to have a red light.
I've used white many more times than I have red and I see no difference in their actions UNLESS there is pecking going on and drawing blood. Then with the red light I think it helps with the pecking issue.
I always start off with white.

well I bought white heat lamps too, but I'm thinking tomorrow I will go to TSC and get a red one , my little ones keep pecking each other's toes and drag each other around.

I have only used a white light, because I didn't know about the red light to start out with. My chicks did peck each other's toes for a day or two, but they soon got over it and all has been well! If you don't have a red light, I wouldn't go run out and buy one unless there is to much toe violence!
big_smile.png

Well I read that it is suppose to help them determine when it was time to sleep. Oh well, I guess if your sleepy enough you will sleep. I haven't had but a little pecking of the feet and that's only when one is on my hand and another tries to puul it off so that one can get in my hand, but thats about it. When it gets quiet in the house they are quiet and sleeping, so I don't guess it matters much.

Maybe certain breeds need the red light. Oh well, I have white and my extra money will go to the coop.

maybe i'll just give mine a few days before spending more money, DH says he's going to have fortune in my flock right now anyways, and darn if he didnt almost ban me from TSC knowing they're getting more chicks today, lol.

I have only used white lights and have not yet had any problems.

Our feed store gets a new order today also! I will not go there. I will not go there. I will not go there! I keep telling myself that, hopefully it will work!

Quote:
The last time I went to the feed store, I got 3 more, and I told them to post my picture behind the counter with the words "DO NOT SELL CHICKS TO THIS WOMAN" written in red across the top!!

In my experience, colored lights tend to be the most needed and useful when raising:

turkeys
pheasants
quails
cornish cross (meat chickens)
guineas

Usually, as long as you have enough space, uninjured chicks, and adequate heat, you shouldn't run into too many problems with excessive pecking. I think with the game type birds that can live wild, you run into more issues as they depend on natural light for survival and are driven to hunt (except the cornish cross, they are driven almost insane with hunger.)

If you find one at a garage sale or on sale, it can't hurt to pick it up as a back up but if you aren't having any issues with it, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Quote:
Red lights are better than white. Ceramic dull emmiters are best of all.

If you only have white, keep them clean, well fed and watered, and make sure they have plenty of space. This should reduce the chance of bad habits developing.

Get them off heat as soon as you can.

Back
Top Bottom