What to do if

jamielynn1028

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 4, 2017
Id like to ask those of you that hatch and sell 1-2 week old straight run chicks a question. What would you do if you had a customer come to purchase chicks that were one week old as straight run (and they were made aware of this before coming to pick them out) and they had several chicks to choose from. When they picked the first chick up he turned the rear end of the chick towards him and said ‘so when vent sexing’ and as he was saying this it looked to me like he was about to try to poke at the chick’s vent-incorrectly for vent sexing might I add. And I said ‘wait a second, if you’d like to vent sexing the chicks you are welcome to do that after you purchase them. Vent sexing is NOT easy and not accurate if you are not trained to do it, and you can injure or kill a chick just by attempting to vent sex them’. So he said okay and then went to try to wing sex them and I didn’t mind, as I’ve had many people try any number of tricks to sex chicks, but offered that wing sexing can only be done on certain breeds so even that wasn’t accurate. So he said okay and picked a few 1 week olds out and then picked a few 3 week olds of another breed out-all straight run. Then shortly, like within 30 mins, he messages me and asks if he can exchange them because he’s pretty sure by vent and wing sexing them, and also watching videos of chicks he’s fairly sure that most of the chicks he purchased are acting like males. I explained to him that we don’t exchange chicks once they leave our care since we can’t assure that the same care and bio security is practiced by everyone and cannot afford to bring in something from another place. I also asked that he give the 1 week olds a few more weeks to grow before he made the judgment on their sex, but the 3 week olds were almost to the point where the combs would start to show on the males of the breed he picked. I assured him that I felt bad he thought he picked all males, but that I would never intentionally sell a person all males, otherwise I wouldn’t have any business for very long. The fact that I have cockerels in ages from 2-12 weeks still on my property show that. I hate that he’s upset, but I don’t know what to do about it, either. I don’t feel like I did anything wrong, but I don’t want them to run my name down to potential customers either

I'd be blunt and just know I probably won't have him buying from me again.

"I told you before purchase that these birds are straight run. I cannot tell males from females at this age and they are now too old to be accurately vent or winged sex." (Everything I've seen says less than 3 days for venting and less than a week for wing sex) "When you buy st run, you are taking a chance of ending up with all males, all females or some of both."

That being said, I don't allow people to pick their birds either when I sell them since I don't allow them on my property and this won't take birds off and on my property anymore. I just grab the first ones I can catch and those are who they get, just like at a hatchery

I would stick to your guns. You have no idea if he bought them from you then attempted to vent sex them. This is one of those situations where you gave him more than enough opportunity and warnings and that’s what he got.

But even if it was just a blind grab bag, that’s what straight run is. You don’t want to pay for the birds being sexed, so you run the risk of getting ALL males. I’ve won some of those gambles and I’ve certainly lost some.

It’s a shame he’s upset, but if he comes back again, I wouldn’t give him quite the same opportunity to choose. I would grab however many he wanted and hand them to him and tell him no take-backsies.

I'd be blunt and just know I probably won't have him buying from me again.

"I told you before purchase that these birds are straight run. I cannot tell males from females at this age and they are now too old to be accurately vent or winged sex." (Everything I've seen says less than 3 days for venting and less than a week for wing sex) "When you buy st run, you are taking a chance of ending up with all males, all females or some of both."

That being said, I don't allow people to pick their birds either when I sell them since I don't allow them on my property and this won't take birds off and on my property anymore. I just grab the first ones I can catch and those are who they get, just like at a
Id like to ask those of you that hatch and sell 1-2 week old straight run chicks a question. What would you do if you had a customer come to purchase chicks that were one week old as straight run (and they were made aware of this before coming to pick them out) and they had several chicks to choose from. When they picked the first chick up he turned the rear end of the chick towards him and said ‘so when vent sexing’ and as he was saying this it looked to me like he was about to try to poke at the chick’s vent-incorrectly for vent sexing might I add. And I said ‘wait a second, if you’d like to vent sexing the chicks you are welcome to do that after you purchase them. Vent sexing is NOT easy and not accurate if you are not trained to do it, and you can injure or kill a chick just by attempting to vent sex them’. So he said okay and then went to try to wing sex them and I didn’t mind, as I’ve had many people try any number of tricks to sex chicks, but offered that wing sexing can only be done on certain breeds so even that wasn’t accurate. So he said okay and picked a few 1 week olds out and then picked a few 3 week olds of another breed out-all straight run. Then shortly, like within 30 mins, he messages me and asks if he can exchange them because he’s pretty sure by vent and wing sexing them, and also watching videos of chicks he’s fairly sure that most of the chicks he purchased are acting like males. I explained to him that we don’t exchange chicks once they leave our care since we can’t assure that the same care and bio security is practiced by everyone and cannot afford to bring in something from another place. I also asked that he give the 1 week olds a few more weeks to grow before he made the judgment on their sex, but the 3 week olds were almost to the point where the combs would start to show on the males of the breed he picked. I assured him that I felt bad he thought he picked all males, but that I would never intentionally sell a person all males, otherwise I wouldn’t have any business for very long. The fact that I have cockerels in ages from 2-12 weeks still on my property show that. I hate that he’s upset, but I don’t know what to do about it, either. I don’t feel like I did anything wrong, but I don’t want them to run my name down to potential customers either
We allow them to turn in males because we use the males for meat. They go directly into the meat bird pen (if there's no one already in it.) But we only allow our closest friends to swap them for females.

Back
Top Bottom