What to do? Outside nest, shared by guinea hens...

sashanellie

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2015
So, hi everyone. First year with guineas. My girls have created a nice hidden nest under some piled wood in our backyard. They are laying in there, and no longer laying in the coop. But, they are coming into the coop every night to roost. Also, they are not yet in there all day or definitely broody, but I feel like it's going in that direction.

So my questions are:
Do I just wait and see what happens?
If two hens are broody on the same nest, do I move them into a hutch just the two of them, or pick one?
I'd love to have them hatch their own keets, but have no idea how to help them.
Should I put water and food by the nest? I worry about that attracting predators.

thanks!
sasha

I did the same for mine, but they made their own under some bent over long grass. A coyote or something got the eggs and the guinea laying on them. All the broody guineas layed eggs in one nest and took shifts sitting on them. The eggs were about to hatch. I can tell
because there was barely a mess, there was no yolk left in the egg. I would encourage them to lay inside.
Don't put food and water by the nest. If you notice they take shifts, they are so they can eat and drink. Tell me if they hatch their own please, I'm interested to see if they are good mothers.

Does anyone know how to tell girl from boy with guineas?

Last edited:
I've heard they aren't very dedicated to keeping the eggs warm, even when broody. Do you think they'll stay on them overnight?

Thanks! I guess we will see what happens! Right now I am recovering from a foot surgery so I can't go out searching in the woods, and am relying on a 7 year old for these details! Soon as I'm out and about I'll post pics of the situation. thanks again for the responses,
Sasha

Thanks, brianna6627, I think I am going to just try to see what happens outside for now.

As for cocks and hens, here's what I've learned - The cocks are the ones with rounded, cupped waddles (not sure of terminology). The hens have more of a sleek, attached waddle. Then there's the sounds they make. The males make single sounds, the females have a double syllable sound. As for keets, I really have no idea how to tell those apart!
Sasha

I had 2 hens sitting on 40+ eggs last summer. They both stuck with it and one of the cocks would sit with them during the day. I did give them food and water. A snake started stealing eggs towards the end and after 4 hatched, they abandoned the nest and took them to the coop. I gave t remaining 15 eggs to 2 broody hens and they got 6 more to hatch. I penned the 2 guinea hens with the keets they hatched. Best mommas ever. First time I've been flogged and sent packing. At about 4 weeks, they were done so I let them out and gave the keets to my Cochin who was with the other group. She accepted them but were never as tame as her's. The guinea hens would still check in when they walked past the grow out pen.

I've heard they aren't very dedicated to keeping the eggs warm, even when broody. Do you think they'll stay on them overnight?

I HAVE ONE SITTING ON ABOUT 30-40 EGGS AND DUE TO HATCH OUT THE 28 OF THIS MONTH AND SHE FAITHFULLY SITS ON THEM, OCCASIONALLY WILL GET OFF BRIEFLY TO EAT AND GOES RIGHT BACK. MALES GO IN TO CHECK ON HER AND SOME EVEN STAY CLOSE BY HER. I AM NEW TO RAISING GUINEAS, BUT SO FAR SHE IS AS GOOD AT SITTING AS ANY HEN I HAVE HAD.

I had 2 hens sitting on 40+ eggs last summer. They both stuck with it and one of the cocks would sit with them during the day. I did give them food and water. A snake started stealing eggs towards the end and after 4 hatched, they abandoned the nest and took them to the coop. I gave t remaining 15 eggs to 2 broody hens and they got 6 more to hatch. I penned the 2 guinea hens with the keets they hatched. Best mommas ever. First time I've been flogged and sent packing. At about 4 weeks, they were done so I let them out and gave the keets to my Cochin who was with the other group. She accepted them but were never as tame as her's. The guinea hens would still check in when they walked past the grow out pen.

DID THEY KEEP THE LITTLE ONES WARM LIKE HENS DO OR WERE THEY UP AND ABOUT WITH THEM? I HAVE ONE DUE TO HATCH OUT ON THE 28TH? DID THE MAMA ALLOW YOU IN THE PEN TO FEED AND WATER OR WAS SHE AGGRESSIVE.

Back
Top Bottom