What to do to save this egg?

macdoogle

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
San Diego
I feel so helpless to save this last tiel egg. My pair that raised a successful clutch last year is not doing so well this time. 3 chicks hatched out of 4 eggs. I keep finding them cold in the corners of the box. I pulled the biggest out yesterday morning thinking it was dead. It warmed up under a lamp. I was able to give it a few drops of formula and put it back. In the afternoon same thing. This time it's rump looked red and bloody. I tried to warm it up and again tried to feed it but it died. This morning I went out and noticed both parents out of the box. Again the last 2 chicks were cold. One was dead and the other died a bit later. There is one egg left and I can see a fully formed chick with a nice air cell. Right now it's in an incubator. I just dont know what to do if it hatches. I'm not prepared to hand feed one so young. I've never done it before, and I do have to go to work. I dont know if I can give it back to the parents. I've brought the box inside from my outdoor aviary but they wont even go in.

unfortunatly it sounds like these birds know something you dont, when a normally sucessfull pair abandon a clutch like this its typically because theres an issue with the chicks.

if this one hatches you could try to re-introduce it to the nest box...they might accept it if its healthy.
otherwise youve got alot of handfeeding.

Maybe, if it hatchs you could post an add on craiglist explaining your situation. I bet you'll find someone who would love to feed and care for it!

Do NOT reintroduce the babys to the parents. They won't have anything to do with them they need to be handfed. And this is just MY opinion but I would pull the box on that pair of tiels. That's just too much frustration. If you don't want to pull the box I would sell them and buy another pair.

Box is already pulled. Parents are back inside and seem just fine, happy and no sign of stress. No way I would ever sell them. I'm giving them a nice long brake and 'maybe' try again later, much later.

Back
Top Bottom