What to do, what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KSANDERS1, Apr 21, 2008.

1. KSANDERS1

KSANDERS1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    south carolina
    I bought 26 miscellaneous breed peeps from a livestock auction. They are very cute, and rumor was the seller had transported them without allowing them ample air supply. Many were DOA at the auction. I felt bad. So, naturally, I bought all of them that were still alive. That was March 22. Since then, hubby and I've built an 8 X 8 X6' tall hen house and a 40 X 20' chicken wire enclosure. Now I've begun to ponder, and as a result of pondering have concluded that I wouldn't mind so much the occasional brood of baby chickens. But a chicken farm, we are not. So, I wonder. The theory of probably as it applies to chicken, I don't know, but being pretty sure we have a goodly number of roosters out yonder, one of which sounds like a girl screaming when he crows, another whose crow is somewhat truncated, and many of whom we've yet to hear from, I fear we have the beginnings of a chicken fiasco on our hands. Now, mostly I just want eggs. But can you eat eggs that have been fertilized just like those that haven't? Having bonded with each and every one of them, I mostly dread, but also await your replies with bated breath. --Kim

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

No problem eating fertilized eggs if you collect them everyday. [​IMG]

3. KSANDERS1

KSANDERS1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    south carolina
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, so much![​IMG]

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    Hi Kim
    I love the first crows form babies! They seem so proud of themselves. I always get a good laugh when one lets out it's first crow. Although sometimes it sounds more like they are croaking rather than crowing. [​IMG]

5. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    oh, yeah, fertile eggs are fine. Like the pp said, just collect everyday.

I generally base the decision on which roosters to keep directly on the sound of thier crowing LOL I don't keep them if they sound like they're being strangled, or screaming. I have 2 VERY nice "cock-a-doodle-doo"ers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by