1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What to do, what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KSANDERS1, Apr 21, 2008.

1. KSANDERS1

KSANDERS1 In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    south carolina
    I bought 26 miscellaneous breed peeps from a livestock auction. They are very cute, and rumor was the seller had transported them without allowing them ample air supply. Many were DOA at the auction. I felt bad. So, naturally, I bought all of them that were still alive. That was March 22. Since then, hubby and I've built an 8 X 8 X6' tall hen house and a 40 X 20' chicken wire enclosure. Now I've begun to ponder, and as a result of pondering have concluded that I wouldn't mind so much the occasional brood of baby chickens. But a chicken farm, we are not. So, I wonder. The theory of probably as it applies to chicken, I don't know, but being pretty sure we have a goodly number of roosters out yonder, one of which sounds like a girl screaming when he crows, another whose crow is somewhat truncated, and many of whom we've yet to hear from, I fear we have the beginnings of a chicken fiasco on our hands. Now, mostly I just want eggs. But can you eat eggs that have been fertilized just like those that haven't? Having bonded with each and every one of them, I mostly dread, but also await your replies with bated breath. --Kim

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

No problem eating fertilized eggs if you collect them everyday. [​IMG]

3. KSANDERS1

KSANDERS1 In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    south carolina
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, so much![​IMG]

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    Hi Kim
    I love the first crows form babies! They seem so proud of themselves. I always get a good laugh when one lets out it's first crow. Although sometimes it sounds more like they are croaking rather than crowing. [​IMG]

5. mommy9994

mommy9994 Songster

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    oh, yeah, fertile eggs are fine. Like the pp said, just collect everyday.

I generally base the decision on which roosters to keep directly on the sound of thier crowing LOL I don't keep them if they sound like they're being strangled, or screaming. I have 2 VERY nice "cock-a-doodle-doo"ers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: