What to do when chickens age out of laying?

Pics
Howdy all! I wanted to query the group about what people are doing when their birds stop laying due to age. We are new to this and just started our flock, so I won't have to worry about this for a little while, but I want to prepare myself and my family for what will be next. We started our flock for eggs, but these birds have very quickly become family members (my daughters had them named before we made it home from the feed store). If space were not a consideration, I would keep every bird until their natural life ended, but we live in a area where chickens are not allowed, and I am not sure how I would fit more in to maintain egg production. I have no interest in eating these birds, and it doesn't seem like anyone suggests that anyway. I'm curious if others find themselves in this situation, and what they do?
I kept mine. When I carefully introduced my new dozen, one of my three older hens took them "under her wing" and acted as a grandmother/teacher/protector of all the little ones. The other two older ones eventually did the same. I have quite the bonded family now.

I kept mine. When I carefully introduced my new dozen, one of my three older hens took them "under her wing" and acted as a grandmother/teacher/protector of all the little ones. The other two older ones eventually did the same. I have quite the bonded family now.

So I’ve read this entire thread without finding the info I seek. How do you know who is laying and who isn’t?

I’ve had chickens 14-15 years and never got a good handle on this. in the early years they were like pets with names and lots of free range time. I had a partial sense of who did what then. Now, not so much. My love for them was greatly diminished when they bullied and eventually killed my favorite. In case you wonder, I put a lot of reading and effort into mitigating this tragedy at the time.

Howdy all! I wanted to query the group about what people are doing when their birds stop laying due to age. We are new to this and just started our flock, so I won't have to worry about this for a little while, but I want to prepare myself and my family for what will be next. We started our flock for eggs, but these birds have very quickly become family members (my daughters had them named before we made it home from the feed store). If space were not a consideration, I would keep every bird until their natural life ended, but we live in a area where chickens are not allowed, and I am not sure how I would fit more in to maintain egg production. I have no interest in eating these birds, and it doesn't seem like anyone suggests that anyway. I'm curious if others find themselves in this situation, and what they do?
We just let them live out their lives. We add about 3 new ones every year or so and keep things at about 6 active layers. I used to have a lot more chickens, but a small number is now fine for our small family. How many do you need to supply your family? Make sure you always add any in 2-3 group. I had a time when raccoons culled my herd for me, so I didn't have to get rid of any. Once in a while, one just dies even when looking healthy. So we keep it at 4-8 now.

I can't see myself eating my girls. When they die, they will be buried. Shucks. I can't even bring home COSTCO roasted chicken anymore.

Back
Top Bottom