What to do with a 5 week 'failure to thrive' chick among 3 thriving ones

If I go by the book, they are all 5 weeks old and should be 8 weeks old before going outside. so, I have 3 more weeks. Hopefully, Sophia will grow a lot more feathers. Sophia isn't roosting yet. in the coop, the bars are higher. She'll need to be able to climb up there to roost the other 3. Or we need to build a very low one. Any suggestion? trying to plan ahead.

I bought pro biotics. It came in powder form: I mixed 1 teaspoon (1/4 spoon per chick) in their feed. Is this the right way to use it?

no, the feed store said it was a rhode island red.

Well I had the feed store tell me that I had a special breed that was produced just for them, so I bought them it was GLW's nothing special about it. The 4 RIR pullets that I bought were not even RIR's they were golden comet, Red Ranger, Cherry egger, and the last one was something else but none were RIR's. Then they also sold me brown egg layers, that were actually white egg layers. they were brown leg horns.
lol.png

Now my cherry egger was very tiny, she still is at the age of 4 she is about the same size as my game rooster. She only weighs about 4 pounds maximum so never ever believe the feed stores
wink.png

If I go by the book, they are all 5 weeks old and should be 8 weeks old before going outside. so, I have 3 more weeks. Hopefully, Sophia will grow a lot more feathers. Sophia isn't roosting yet. in the coop, the bars are higher. She'll need to be able to climb up there to roost the other 3. Or we need to build a very low one. Any suggestion? trying to plan ahead.

I bought pro biotics. It came in powder form: I mixed 1 teaspoon (1/4 spoon per chick) in their feed. Is this the right way to use it?

the kind I have is water soluble so I put it in their water.. the package should have directions though.

one idea for the higher roosting bars - you can create a ladder of roosts from lowest to highest so she/they can fly from one to the next. how tall is it?
sounds good on waiting til 8 weeks, keep us posted!

How is Sophia doing? My dad was sold 11 Golden Buff Heavy Cochins 4 weeks ago. All failed to thrive, they were otherwise very active but he keeps on losing 1 every 4 days. Down to 5 now. The 4 week old chicks are hardly growing any feathers and look smaller than my 2 week old Legbar chicks. I will post pics when available. I think it must be some sort of genetic deficiency. My dad's came from a breeder, who has been inbreeding for a few years now so that could be one reason.

Last edited:
I have same issue with a blue laced Red Wyandotte. You csn see it in photocwith hatchmate of same breed/age. Just wondering how long yours lasted.

Attachments

• 20190811_102223.jpg
    20190811_102223.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 134
I have same issue with a blue laced Red Wyandotte. You csn see it in photocwith hatchmate of same breed/age. Just wondering how long yours lasted.
Hi i know this is an old post but i have a blue laced red wyandotte just like that she is 7 weeks old.How is the little one doing?did it thrive?or grow feathers? I hope mine will make it

It wasn’t until I let the gang of 29 birds out to play that I noticed one chick very under feathered. She seems active and eating and doesn’t appear to be picked on, so I am not sure why she would be so underdeveloped. It could be that she is last to eat and I don’t keep a light on them so she can’t eat at night. I gave her a little egg today and put her back in the box with her litter. mate for some personal eating time. Should I do anything else?
9DC04191-517F-41B5-BE2F-C6F6F4C4AD24.jpeg
855534FC-56A2-4260-8FB3-ADADE52041C4.jpeg
766DA849-73EC-4EC5-851B-20CCB99F3045.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom