what to do with a baby robin

Quote:
I called a rehaber but they a full right now. We had some storms rolling through the last couple weeks and they cant help me. they said they cant take care of every bird that falls from the nest. I found the nest but its destroyed its on my roof in the gutters hanging down, getting ready to fall. I also saw a baby robin dead under the nest. I think i am doing pretty good , it oens the bill and i put a small piece of soaked food in and it swallows. If it foesnt open the mouth no more i stop. I feed every hour and i scrub my hands and disinfect them before and after use. It had mites. I keep toiletpaper as a nest in there and since this morning i havent seen any. I also keep the chickens, quails and the robin on different levels of the house. I wish i could release it but i am afraid its not a good place here with the parents gone , cats around ad the baby unable to fly. As soon as it is ready i will take it out to the country .

Also make sure it gets some water. You could use a syringe or an eye dropper. I'm glad it's doing OK:)

Quote:
i wouldnt even give my ducks bread because i know about the low to known existing nutritional value. I make a new batch of soaked food evey time i am done feeding th bird, this way it stays fresh and doesnt get too mushy.

The only bread I gave the birds was little tiny pieces wet and rung out, they were not dripping with water. That is how my mom used to do it years and years ago. The bread was wheat bread and not a lot, mostly worms. People throw bread out for birds all the time and they gobble it up.
also this bird is feathered also, different than a little newly hatched bird. I have had alot of sucess at rescuing birds.
If you feel unsure about bread then by all means just stick with worms and bugs, sometimes people don't have access to digging up worms.
and I don't give bread to my ducks either.

It is doing great. My husband did thelast feeding and put it up for the night. I guess it is agood thing that the poop loks like regular poop you'd see on wild birds. It hops around in the cage and perches on the little wickerbasket/nest therest of the time. At feedng time it acts just like any other baby bird and opens wide. A few more days and it can go outside . I give it a week before i can release it into the wild. I deceided to take it to our local park for that. Not at my house since our neighbors found a owl with a BB gun wound sometime back.

Back
Top Bottom