What to do with a Cochin Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marceedee, Feb 1, 2011.

1. marceedee

marceedee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Cheney, WA
    I raised a flock of BA 22 hens with 3 roosters. I got a bonus chicken from the hatchery and it grew into a cochin rooster. I have 9 other hens and he is often by himself. Not sure what to do with him. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I got one of those too...he was delicious.
    Mine was skittish and antisocial, but very pretty. I had 2 other cockerals as well and only one open position, so I picked the best adjusted (and prettiest too!)I skinned the extra two to keep their feathers (they will make wonderful masks someday!) and we ate them. They were older than they say roos ought to be when you eat them (7 months old!) but still good after an overnight saltwater brine.

3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    That's easy, get a Cochin hen! [​IMG] I know you knew that's what we were going to say, didn't you.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    First: If that is him in the picture, then you do not have a cochin. That is a hatchery quality Wyandotte.

Second: You can either try to find him a home, eat him, or if you can't eat your own roos sell him to someone that will.

Matt

5. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    agree with matt

6. marceedee

Feb 5, 2009
    Cheney, WA
    A Wyandotte! I compared photos of Wyandottes and Cochins. I thought only only Cochins have the puffy tails, but I have never seen one in person.

Thanks for your help. I think Wyandottes would do well in our cold climate!

7. marceedee

Feb 5, 2009
    Cheney, WA
    Quote:How do you perserve the feathers when you skin the chicken? Do you remove the feather after the chicken is skinned or keep them attached?

8. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:How do you perserve the feathers when you skin the chicken? Do you remove the feather after the chicken is skinned or keep them attached?

Just skin them, make sure to get all the fat off, and spread borax on the fleshy side and lay them flat in a safe place. I keep the feathers on if I bother to skin rather than pluck because it keeps them organized. (which is the main benefit of skinning for me. It is very time consuming) Just a note: don't keep the skins feather side down for the whole drying process. Flip them after a few days or the feathers will look flat forever.
    Oh, and you'll have to take the wings off to get it skinned. Either include them in the skin or lop them off and leave holes. The holes don't show much. You can also twist tie the wing to a stick to fan it out and dry it in borax/rock salt in a shallow box (like a large pizza box) and then you have a fan.
    Some may find it creepy, but I try to make sure as little as possible goes to waste. The best way to respect a life is to do this, and to remember the animal in a beautiful way. I don't even toss out the feet. Just a small handfull of guts goes into the garden with the head. The rest we use.
    And Wyandottes still taste good at 7 months too. (the other roo who failed to make the cut was a wyandotte) A little fattier, but still good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by