1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with a Rooster in the SF bay area

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by paulpaul, Dec 26, 2010.

1. paulpaul

paulpaul New Egg

Dec 26, 2010
    Greetings All!

I just joined this forum and I am hoping for some guidance on what to do with a rooster. We have back yard chickens and live in a city that doesn't allow roosters. This morning we heard our chicken, PaulPaul, crowing. We live in the SF bay area (near San Mateo) and would appreciate guidance on what we can do with our rooster. We would prefer to give him to a good home.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
    Andrea

2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    roosters are a bit of a conundrum. we all like our boys, but they make noise, and generally don't endear themselves to the neighbors.

you could list him in the buy/sell/auction section. is he a special breed or particularly friendly? if he is something special, you might get a few bucks for him. otherwise, you will be lucky to give him away.

the other alternative is to list him on craigslist, but it is much less likely that he will be going to a good home. he will probably become somebody's dinner. [​IMG]

good luck!

oops, forgot to say...[​IMG] from the East Bay.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  3. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I called our local rescue and they gave me the name of a man in our community that takes unwanted roosters. They are free range on his ranch. You might try in your area? Best of luck and [​IMG] from the Central Coast.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice already given. [​IMG]

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Welcome, from Eastern Wa.

6. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from North Carolina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by