What to do with a rooster?

Roosters often, even usually get along with each other, they work out their own pecking order just like hens do. Not always of course. If you have a real hard headed one that has too much temper, it might choose to get physical, but mostly, the beta roo(s) will back down... until they don't. It's usually a lot of posturing and body language and that's enough until one takes it that one step further. Then there's blood and battle till they get things settled. It's true that sometimes that 'settled' thing can fatal, but really that's the exception. More than one rooster with enough hens to provide a job for them to do usually manage. The betas tend to hang around the edges and help watch for predators and problems, and the alpha tolerates them if they're smart.

Anyway, I agree with those that say put it on Craigs list or freecycle and forget about it. Chances are whoever takes him WON't be into fighting them... if you have a bad feeling about whoever shows up though, say you're sorry you've changed your mind. If he winds up as soup, well, that's better than fights IMO.

Last edited:
I personally would not give a rooster away, unless I actually knew the person I was giving him to. IMHO that increases the chances that the person wants him for "bad" purposes.

I have sold some roosters for $5 each. I have also killed some myself. I hate to do that, but I figure that at least I know the roos didn't suffer beforehand if I do it. If I sell them, I have no control over what might happen to them. I try to keep in mind that roos don't often live long in the wild, either. Nature makes a lot more of them than are needed in the long term, so in a way the roos have no reason to "expect" a long life.

I do also keep two bachelor pens of roos. These are extra roosters that I don't want to use for breeding right away, but that I might want in the future. Yes, they fight -- and occasionally one will get killed. It's not a perfect option, but it is one alternative!

Back
Top Bottom