What to do with all that chicken poo?

mccormicks chicks

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Front Royal Va.

We where new to raising chickens ten years ago in Northern Virginia. I went to the feed store to buy pine shavings for the "deep litter" method to line the coop floors. They were sold out. An old time chicken raiser from the Shenandoah Valley named Wes said, "Y'all got any leaves on your place?" and a new practice was born!
Living back in the mist of several acres of mature oaks. Leaves are not a problem to obtain, and Free. We rake them and scoop them up in tarps. Load both the runs and interiors of the coops with the excess. It keeps the smell of the manure down and keeps the runs dryer during wet weather.
Then in the Spring when yard cleaning begins again the compost is removed from the coops and runs. And the stuff is better than any potting soil by any name we have ever bought. I planted the box pictured above on April 5th with gladiolus (supposed to deter deer) and sunflowers (to feed back to the chickens). The below picture was taken today.
By the way it makes for great Maters too! Pics to come if anyone else posts what they do with poo.

Too many peeps ( young generation) are not aware how farmers used to fertilize their fields. This is before chemical fertilizers became common. I do because I'm OLD SCHOOL. I also remember when I was little that farmers in my area used to use horses to pull plows. PM me if you want more detailed info. Not all peeps had money for machinery. We were in that group.
I LIKE YOUR APPROACH BACK TO THE BASICS...
thumbsup.gif

I've been putting brooder shavings back in my raised beds. Haven't planted anything in em yet - will soon.

Hubs is against me putting in a compost bed cause 1. We rent and 2. We already have a rabbit and squirrel problem. But hey. I can mix some eggshells and shavings in the bed ;)

I've been putting brooder shavings back in my raised beds. Haven't planted anything in em yet - will soon.

Hubs is against me putting in a compost bed cause 1. We rent and 2. We already have a rabbit and squirrel problem. But hey. I can mix some eggshells and shavings in the bed
wink.png

Crumble your egg shells and give them back to your chickens. Some peeps dry them and bake them. I just smash them so easy for chickens to eat small pieces. I do provide oyster shells free pick also, but I just don't see why I would throw out an egg shell. I don't have a compost pile, but the chicken droppings go directly into my garden area. Rain washes it into the earth. Well. you know the results.
smile.png

They're still young - they aren't laying yet. Once they do, they can get the crumbled shells but for now, it makes the tomatoes happy ;)

Back
Top Bottom