1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to Do with Bad Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BerrytangleFarm, Dec 20, 2010.

1. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

What do I do with the eggs that are obviously not developing? There are at least 3 of the 7 that are out of the running of those due on New Years'. Where do they go??

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I just ditch them in the trash.... I wouldn't eat them if that's what your asking, There probably fine but i don't know it just seems wrong! [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    In the garbage.

Although if they're only infertile, and about 10 days in or less, I cook them up and feed them to the dogs. Never had any sick dogs from it.

4. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

You need an educated eggdicator .... [​IMG]

sorry [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I feed them to my garbage disposal, Hawk the Lab-o-monster if they are just plain clears or early quitters.
    If they've been incubating for more than 2 weeks, or smell, they go in the trash.

6. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I feed mine to the dog. 2week in bad eggs, no issues here.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I throw them in the woods. I think the possums eat them.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I hard boil them when I can an feed the dogs. Other times I chunk them in the yard, ether way the dogs eat them.

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Bury them in the compost heap.

10. barefoottrims

barefoottrims Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    unfertile eggs: cats get the insides put on their feed and the chickens get the shell after I have let it dry and smashed it up

same with the hatched eggs and chicks are in the brooder I do the insides they get scraped out and the egg gets smashed up that way I dont have to feed oyster shell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by