1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with canned chicken?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, Jan 10, 2011.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I was given 4 tuna size cans of chicken....I've never used canned chicken before. What can I do with it? I would really appreciate any recipes. [​IMG]

2. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

buffalo chicken cheese dip and i like to make chicken curry with canned chicken for a fast meal in a pinch.

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/FRANK'S®-REDHOT®-BUFFALO-CHICKEN-DIP-RE1242

for the curry i just drain the chicken, saute it with an onion and some garlic if I have it, curry powder to taste and either a can of coconut milk or a carton of plain yogurt and serve over rice or couscous. done.

also chicken salad. Its never as good as fresh but its handy.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    You can use it to make the chicken helper, chicken salad, chicken dips...

4. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Make yourself a nice chicken waldorf salad to serve on some butter lettuce. I'm guessing they're 5.5 ounce cans (Kirkland sells I think 7 or 8oz cans).\\
    Drain a can or two well, dump it in mixing bowl, small dice a stick of celery, a Granny Smith apple, 1/3 cup raisins, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and add enough mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip) to coat everything nicely (probably about 3/4 cup mayo). Season with salt and pepper and serve on Bibb or Butter lettuce. If you have a little curry powder in the house about 2 tsp. would really gussy it up nice.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I've used it in the past, it seems to work well in casseroles. Do a search for chicken casserole recipes, there are zillions of them. One of my favorite combos was broccoli, chicken, Parmesan cheese and a mushroom cream sauce. I don't have a specific recipe. I DO remember the sauce has Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice in it though! [​IMG]

6. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Thanks guys I knew I could count on you for some good ideas....

greenfamilyfarms - What's chicken helper?

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I use canned chicken for chicken taquitos [​IMG]

8. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Chicken Helper from Betty Crocker

[​IMG]

Oh yeah...I remember the hamburger helper from years ago, I tried it once but DH hated it so I never bought it again. I thought they had quit making it but I guess it just wasn't a very big seller in these parts. I haven't seen it in years and I had no idea they were making it to go with other meats.

9. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:I've never made a taquito...I'll google a recipe.

I googled a recipe that looks like something my family would really like. I'll give it a try thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by