1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what to do with deceased birds in winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dragonshiner, Dec 27, 2008.

1. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Okay, we had a wave of some sort of respiratory virus sweep through our birds this past month. We medicated them and managed to save a majority of our flocks. But now I'm presented with a different dilemma. What to do with the dead birds?
    Normally we bury them so as not to attract any wild critters towards our property but it's the middle of winter here so the ground is frozen solid. None of my books cover this particular situation and I'm out of ideas. Anyone else have an answer for me?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I'm sorry.

Can you perhaps burn them?

3. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    Interesting, and definitely something that could happen here that I've never thought about... Could you maybe call your nearby vet and ask if they could arrange for a cremation, or what they suggest?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

With respiratory illness, especially if you do not know what they had, I would burn the bodies.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..i would throw them in the woods far from your house(the whole nature cycle thing..)....but...if they had something contagious..i would probably burn them...good luck!, Wendy

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Some people on BYC will add the bodies to their compost heap.

7. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I actually heard of the composting of bird bodies before and might actually start that next year. Right now though my compost heap is trenched in snow. Same with my fire pit so burning them would be difficult.
    Perhaps if I layered them underneath enough snow that might deter attracting any, or at least any MORE, predators to the property?

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have always burned the bodies (of chickens) of any "unknown reasons of death". After examining their body and if I cannot identify that the reason of death was predator related or any other wounds, I automatically assume that the reason of death may be contagious and can spread to the other animals on my farm. I do not take any chances. I do not bury the bodies because I have a lot of stray cats and I would not want them to dig up the body, eat it and get sick and die. I would rather be safe than sorry.

9. deenamr

deenamr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Put them in the freezer in a bag/box and bury them in the spring. At the vet clinic where I work we sometimes offer storage for people who can't bury their pets due to weather conditions or wanting to wait for family to have service for the pet. We have stored for up to 6 months with no problems.

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    This brings back memories - not very pleasant ones.

I took a job changing sprinkler pipe during my 1st year of college. The farm had a few hundred acres but the farmer made most of his money from his laying hens. I didn't do "chicken chores" but was in and out of the farmyard. This was back when an egg ranch didn't need to be an industrial thing.

I imagine that they now have on-site gas incinerators. This place had a burn-barrel.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. . . . pile in good firewood - metal barrel with holes punched in the sides with a pick . . .

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by