What to do with eggs when hen not broody

britzmeghan

Hatching
Sep 2, 2021
One of my silkies just started laying eggs (a total of 3 eggs so far). All eggs have been fertilized. Problem is, she hasn't gone broody. We would like for her to hatch some eggs before we get rid of the rooster. So my question is this; what are ways to get her to go broody? And what are ways to preserve the fertilized eggs ?

One of my silkies just started laying eggs (a total of 3 eggs so far). All eggs have been fertilized. Problem is, she hasn't gone broody. We would like for her to hatch some eggs before we get rid of the rooster. So my question is this; what are ways to get her to go broody? And what are ways to preserve the fertilized eggs ?
Preserve? Leave them on a counter, make sure its not too hot, hot enough to incubate. You could eat them too. Leave several eggs in the nest everyday. Silkies tend to go broody, but you do not want a young hen to go broody and hatch her own eggs.

Preserve? Leave them on a counter, make sure its not too hot, hot enough to incubate. You could eat them too. Leave several eggs in the nest everyday. Silkies tend to go broody, but you do not want a young hen to go broody and hatch her own eggs.
Thank you
Can you provide me more information on why I don't want a young hen to go broody/hatch her own eggs? That is my original plan considering I do not have an incubator. I got the silkies back in March.

Thank you
Can you provide me more information on why I don't want a young hen to go broody/hatch her own eggs? That is my original plan considering I do not have an incubator. I got the silkies back in March.
They are more prone to abandon nests half way down the line or not do well with the chicks once they hatch. You also do not want to incubate the first few eggs of a pullet, because it takes a while for her body to function well. Its just to ensure you have a good fertility and hatch rate. New eggs also tend to have glitches, like soft shells, being too small, fairy eggs, double yolkers, etc. etc. All of which shouldnt be incubated. Double yolkers tend to not hatch anyways.

Thank you
Pullet eggs are smaller and often don't have a great hatch rate or result in runt chicks. Pullets are also inexperienced when it comes to motherhood and they tend to mess up. They crack eggs by accident, stop sitting partway through incubation (had one just quit on day 19) and tend to lose (sometimes literally just lose into thin air) chicks

Back
Top Bottom