What to do with extra hatching eggs?

yellowbrickfarm

Hatching
May 21, 2015
I am starting a brood of quail by purchasing hatching eggs online (I don't live anywhere near people selling the breed I want). The minimum quanitity I can order is 12 and honestly, I just want to start with 4 quails at first. So my question is, what can I do with the others? I know there isn't a 100% success rate so I will probably put 6 in the incubator but that still leaves me with 6.

Can I eat them? Is that weird? Total n00b here so I apologize if these are stupid questions.

Thanks in advance!

-Yellow Brick Farm

I am starting a brood of quail by purchasing hatching eggs online (I don't live anywhere near people selling the breed I want). The minimum quanitity I can order is 12 and honestly, I just want to start with 4 quails at first. So my question is, what can I do with the others? I know there isn't a 100% success rate so I will probably put 6 in the incubator but that still leaves me with 6.

Can I eat them? Is that weird? Total n00b here so I apologize if these are stupid questions.

Thanks in advance!

-Yellow Brick Farm
There's no reason you can't eat them, but would you be able to incubate all and sell any extras that hatch? I'd just hate for you to incubate 6 and only end up with 2 and have ate the others....
idunno.gif

There's no reason you can't eat them, but would you be able to incubate all and sell any extras that hatch? I'd just hate for you to incubate 6 and only end up with 2 and have ate the others....
idunno.gif
This is true. I guess I should try selling them. Honestly, 12 quail wouldn't even take up that much room in the long run. I'm just a commitment-aphobe :) Thanks!

if my plan was to have 4 healthy fully grown quail and I had to have the eggs shipped I would order 12 and hope they send at least 15.

some will be cracked in the post, some will be infertile but I would hope to have at least 7 to 8 hatch (good hatch for shipped). Then the fun begins. Quail chicks (especially buttons) are slightly suicidal and if given half a chance will do the dumbest things and end up dead. so you may loss a few before they are feathered especially if this is the first time raising quail.

My first attempt was
24 ordered
30 delivered
26 set,
19 fertile after day 10
17 hatched healthy
12 fully feathered

Back
Top Bottom