What to do with hens for hurricane?

la399

Chirping
Jun 3, 2019
Currently trying to prepare for the hurricane heading straight for me and have no idea what to do with my 4 hens. I only have 1 dog crate and I don’t have any room in my house I can fence off for them. Any suggestions?

If they can't be in a safer place, they will have to take their chances outside.
How about having them in a big dog crate? It's not for weeks, just do it.
Have enough food and water for them too!
Drive everyone to a safer location, now, or set things up to be as safe as possible. You need to plan for extended power outages, so enough water and food are essential.
I'm hoping that your house is built for this, or drive away!
Mary

We always just brought them in the house in whatever cages or very large cardboard boxes we had. We laid plastic down on the floor and put the cages on top of that, in the living room. Newspapers changed often for the droppings. If your bathtub has a shower door you could keep them in there. Even a small room or closet with plastic sheeting on the floor will do for a short time. Best of luck to you.

If they can't be in a safer place, they will have to take their chances outside.
How about having them in a big dog crate? It's not for weeks, just do it.
Have enough food and water for them too!
Drive everyone to a safer location, now, or set things up to be as safe as possible. You need to plan for extended power outages, so enough water and food are essential.
I'm hoping that your house is built for this, or drive away!
Mary
I have my family’s home that is more inland so trying to arrange to bring them there. The dog crate we have is not big enough for all of them however, I could put 2 of my young ones their brooder bin for a day or 2 because they are still fairly small (12 weeks). We have plenty of food and water for them though so that shouldn’t be an issue.

We always just brought them in the house in whatever cages or very large cardboard boxes we had. We laid plastic down on the floor and put the cages on top of that, in the living room. Newspapers changed often for the droppings. If your bathtub has a shower door you could keep them in there. Even a small room or closet with plastic sheeting on the floor will do for a short time. Best of luck to you.
I didn’t think about the cardboard boxes, I have a few of the extra large ones laying around. Thank you!

During peak of storm, pen the birds in the dog crate without food starting about 12 hours before. Provide access to water only during hours that would normally be awake. Bring crate in and place it on something like a tarp to prevent spillage of bedding or feces onto floor.

Greater concern is keeping feed dry and a water available for after the storm passes in the event supplies of either are interrupted by storm damage. Stock up and protect both.

Currently trying to prepare for the hurricane heading straight for me and have no idea what to do with my 4 hens. I only have 1 dog crate and I don’t have any room in my house I can fence off for them. Any suggestions?
Do you have a garage or secure to the ground storage unit? I don't have a cage but if things get bad I'm doing to put them loose in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom