What to do with my polish pullets?

ChickensXOXO

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
The Carolinas
I had to put 2 polish pullets in with my silkies about a month ago because of a hawk problem with my free rangers. I just purchased another silkie pullet (which will make 5 in the pen), and I'm also in the process of selling extra chickens and making plans for housing during the cooler months... And I'm thinking my pen may be too crowded for the polish to stay permanently. When I setup the pen, I didn't plan to house them together.

My run is a 10x10 dog kennel, and I have a large doghouse, that I'm using as my silkie coop. The polish currently sleep in the run up on the roosts I added for them (by sliding tobacco sticks through the wire holes). The kennel is covered and secure, but obviously, I can't let them sleep on these roosts during winter (though our winters don't get too cold, and I will add more tarps to help with the cold winds).

I was just looking for some opinions and/or suggestions. Do you think it's too crowded? If not, what should I do about the polish sleeping arrangement? One polish pullet has started laying, and she does know to lay in the nesting boxes in the silkie coop. They also "play" in the coop with the silkies during the day, I think they just liking roost up high, as they'll get on the top of the coop too.

Thanks! Here's some pictures...

they look happy to me...I think they are fine for now...but I would not add any more chickens and if you have to only a couple more but you would have to add another small roost for them also

they look happy to me...I think they are fine for now...but I would not add any more chickens and if you have to only a couple more but you would have to add another small roost for them also
I don't plan on adding anymore. My plan was to have about 5 silkies when I made the pen. I do like having the polish and the silkies together, and they get along good.

Back
Top Bottom