What to do with Olaf?

This is all pretty normal if you ask me. I've had roos pull almost all the feathers off my girls backs before.

But your hen by that photo - could just be sick and nothing related to the roosters admiration.

How does her keel feel? Is it plump and meaty or is she thin and boney? Have you wormed the birds, has she laid any eggs? Could she be egg bound? Could she have coccidia? Lice/Mites? Just some things to look for outside of the roo.

I think it’s within the range of normal, but I wouldn’t tolerate it in my own rooster. It’s sad to cull a bird you’re attached to who is trying his best, but there are so many roosters who never damage or stress their hens (or who are human aggressive etc etc), I don’t think it’s fair to keep one with hens if they’re being ridden bald :( having feathers pulled out is painful. I’m just starting out keeping chickens and I’m attached to my new chicks, but I’ve told myself I have to be firm. Any rooster at my place who can’t be gentle with both hens and humans and exemplary at his job is going to get culled/eaten.

Last edited:
Any rooster at my place who can’t be gentle with both hens and humans and exemplary at his job is going to get culled/eaten.

This is how I feel about it too. There are way too many nice roosters out there to suffer a jerk rooster. I definitely wouldn't have a rooster that was aggressive with my flock whether he was rough with the hens or with me. I don't care how pretty he is.

If I understood correctly, Olaf isn’t necessarily being mean or intentionally rough with the girls, he’s just being clumsy, so to speak. If that is indeed the case, I would put saddles on the girls that show wear and let him remain with them. The hens do not seem to mind having the saddles on as they don’t stop the hen from any of her normal activities.

I have four girls out of 25 that wear saddles. I think they think they are special. ;)

Goldie, my GLW, has gold hearts on her saddle;
3C2B6462-9AAF-40B1-B1E8-3FEB84DDAC1F.jpeg

Bernice, the Buckeye, has cheetah print;
48F2A3F8-2E77-423D-BC36-EA0D199C99F2.jpeg

and Georgia Girl, my BPR, would have nothing other than a Georgia Bulldog saddle. Go Dawgs!
FAAD7BE9-ED8E-4D3E-A2C4-139139DE11B1.jpeg

Chickaletta, the WPR, has since become a saddle wearer too, but I failed to get a picture of her sporting her springy colored chevron print.

Try some saddles for your ladies.

Thanks a lot Mimi's 13! Your girls are beautiful and look very snazzy. I have to say that I never really liked the idea of saddles as I feel like they can't be great for the hen's skin and feather growth? But perhaps they are the lesser of two evils and your girls certainly look pretty happy in them! :) Our flock is a family flock and nobody is keen on the idea of culling Olaf (understandably), so I would like to find a more gentle solution for now.

I think bareback chickens bother people more than they bother chickens. Some hens feathers break off much worse than others, so it might not all be Olaf's fault. I would watch the hens, if they are not afraid of him, I would not worry about him.

I think bareback chickens bother people more than they bother chickens. Some hens feathers break off much worse than others, so it might not all be Olaf's fault. I would watch the hens, if they are not afraid of him, I would not worry about him.
For whatever reason I just don’t like to see bare skin. That, and the fact you are just one sharp nail away from doctoring a hen and possibly separating her from the flock a day or two. Not to mention I’m in dire need right now of more broody breaker cages. I can’t afford to have to use one for sick bay unless it’s absolutely necessary.:barnie What’s an old woman to do?

Back
Top Bottom