What to do with old chicken bedding?

RRChick21

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2021
I have old chicken bedding (pine shavings) that have been sitting around for over a year. How do I incorporate it into compost? Can I mix it directly into raised beds?

Did it compost in that year? If so, mix it in. If not, add other stuff to get it to ‘cook’. Google can provide suggestions on what to add.

I would NOT mix it until you give it some time to compost it. As long as you understand that it should be OK. You do want to give it some time for everything to burn out.

I just throw it under my fruit trees (although I don't have ton of it). I know, I know... probably too "hot"... But I seem to be getting away with it so I keep doing it 😅
It is fine to have a small amount of fresh chicken droppings near an established tree. That is what happens when chickens are allowed to forage under trees-- they poop everywhere they go!

How much you add, and how big the plants are, can make a big difference. I am pretty sure that just one fresh chicken dropping could kill a tiny new broccoli seedling, but be fine for the same broccoli plant when it is bigger. A giant pile of fresh manure would probably kill just about any plant, including big established trees.

We use horse bedding pellets, and every spring is the only time we pull it all out. By then, it's dehydrated poop and sawdust. We put some of it in our garden, around all the trees and bushes, in flower beds, and a gob in the compost bins. It's 100% pine too, just a different form.

Back
Top Bottom