What to do with Roo while hens are in brooder?

sareydoll

Chirping
Jun 26, 2021
Houston, TX
Our two Serama/Mille Fleur D’uccle crosses have decided to use one nesting box, despite our best efforts to give them each one of their own. I’ve got a couple of questions about having the most successful hatch. I am worried about our very gentle roo being separated from his ladies when we move them to the brooder box. He gets extremely stressed out when they’re away from him for any amount of time, but I also have no idea how he’d be with new chicks. Between the two hens, do the chicks stand a pretty good chance of being protected if he gets nasty with them? He’s never been aggressive, ever, but I know chicks are a different story.

I just hatched yesterday. I interfere as little as possible. I would not put them in the brooder box, I just leave mine with the flock. It might depend on how old your rooster is, but I have never had one bother chicks either.

Chicks make a lot of noise, peeping, peeping and this is a true story. They must have been a week old, and it was late afternoon, and all of a sudden the rooster, gave a loud sheik, and jumped up and down in one spot, glaring at the chicks. They were immediately quiet. The rooster then stomped off. It was so funny, I laughed out loud.

Mrs K

I just hatched yesterday. I interfere as little as possible. I would not put them in the brooder box, I just leave mine with the flock. It might depend on how old your rooster is, but I have never had one bother chicks either.

Chicks make a lot of noise, peeping, peeping and this is a true story. They must have been a week old, and it was late afternoon, and all of a sudden the rooster, gave a loud sheik, and jumped up and down in one spot, glaring at the chicks. They were immediately quiet. The rooster then stomped off. It was so funny, I laughed out loud.

Mrs K
Papa has spoken! 😂

Mrs K
Papa don't take no mess!

So if you only have 2 hens and they are both broody, you could just leave them where they are. Is it safe ones chicks hatch? You will not need to worry about staggered batch.
Co broodies sometimes do not work well when chicks are hatched. They may compete over them...
Your rooster will be fine without his hens either way.
Good luck!

So if you only have 2 hens and they are both broody, you could just leave them where they are. Is it safe ones chicks hatch? You will not need to worry about staggered batch.
Co broodies sometimes do not work well when chicks are hatched. They may compete over them...
Your rooster will be fine without his hens either way.
Good luck!
That’s interesting! I’d never heard that about two hens. I would have thought the exact opposite would be true. Is it that one tries to claim all the babies, or one tries to pick at them? I worry about the babies because they are in a semi-raised coop- raised enough that falling could kill a wayward chick. These babies are super super tiny. I’ll be sure to post an update once we (they) figure things out! Thanks for your input!

That’s interesting! I’d never heard that about two hens. I would have thought the exact opposite would be true. Is it that one tries to claim all the babies, or one tries to pick at them? I worry about the babies because they are in a semi-raised coop- raised enough that falling could kill a wayward chick. These babies are super super tiny. I’ll be sure to post an update once we (they) figure things out! Thanks for your input!
I have to second this-i tried to save a chick once that got stepped on when two hens were squabbling over chicks. He didn't make it but I also had no idea what I was doing. By the time I found him he might have been there all day.

Unless the fall is over 10 feet, it won't hurt a chick. Pile some hay below it, and don't worry. I know a lady, whose hen brooded in the hayloft, and by day two after hatching, she got them down to the floor and they were just fine.

They are just balls of fluff.

ps - I have heard of that with two hens, but it has happened twice for me, and both times, mine sleep together and mind the babies together.

Mrs. K

Back
Top Bottom