1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with ROOSTER besides kill him?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by briter30, Jul 14, 2011.

1. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    I am needing to find a home for 2 hens and 1 rooster. The hens went pretty quickly, but I have not been able to rehome my rooster. I cannot keep the rooster and I need him gone soon. I have tried craigslist and the local paper, but still no inquiries. Beside myself killing him, what are my alternatives?

2. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    How did you phrase the ads? Usually offering them at a lower rooster price takes care of it.. for people that will process the bird rather than you doing it. My local feed store resells roosters. You give them the rooter and they keep the $10.00 they sell the bird for. Do the feed stores in your area have a board for posting ads? Contact the local 4H group to get in touch with the chicken group leaders, maybe someone with a farm will add him to their flock....

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Post pic here and see if you cant meet up with someone who might help you and HIM. I give him free. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  4. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Yes, it is a FREE rooster! Thanks for the suggestions!

5. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    Look for a meet up in your area (look for a thread in that section). I've met some great resources that way. Found a home for a roo and a goose! Good luck.

6. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Sounds like you are doing everything I've ever done. I usually won't let a rooster go without a hen though. I don't like to separate them....sometimes that just doesn't work for the inquiring people. Try dressing up his ad on craigslist a bit. Do you have photos? Is he pleasant and do you make him sound like he is so much more than just a rooster? I've had good luck being slightly dramatic and people are never disappointed. They enjoy the "story" I use most often. I hope you can find him a great home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by