What to do with rooster

blusbro

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2018
Central Illinois
Soo I guess I have a rooster. He is making life miserable for the girls. They are seven weeks old now. I have contacted someone from Craigslist about taking him but I am getting anxious about waiting for a reply.

Can the rooster hurt the girls? I don’t really have any kind of setup for separating him. They are almost ready for the coop (I should say that the coop is almost ready for them), but right now the six are in a playpen in my garage. Any advice?

He’s hopping all over the place, chasing them around and pecking at them. The others try to get up higher and he jumps at them. It just looks strange!!!

It is probably more of a lack of space than anything. That is pretty tight quarters for 7 birds that are growing, and I imagine, (maybe not) that it is just an open area.

The rooster may or may not work out, but what would help now is to spread them apart. A dog kennel, a tote with chicken wire over the top, a large appliance box, such as a freezer box, would allow you to contain them, and give them more space.

Mrs K

Do you know for sure if it's a cockerel? It could just be a more aggressive hen, in which case there's probably ways to calm her down. Have you heard any crowing?

I’m guessing so. I put a picture up on here about a week ago asking whether or not this chicken is a roo or hen. I’d link that thread but would end up screwing it up somehow!!

All I have to do with the coop is get the run covered and get the food set up and we are ready to go. Well see what happens then. Thanks all for the insight.

Just so you know, most likely the only thing anyone will want a rooster for is to eat. He's not a super rare breed, and the demand for non-rare-breed roosters isn't high.
You need to get the coop and run set up as soon as possible. If at all possible, get them outside tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom