What to do with runts?

My first runt was a very late hatcher with wobbly legs. I put him in with the others. He wobbled and hopped to the food by himself. His growth was behind, but he was full of beans, fitted in with the group and gave as good as he got. He spent a long time half size, but now they are seven weeks and nearly full weight he, or she(!), is almost caught up. "Runty Jeff/Janet" has the most personality of the lot and is always the first to popcorn out of the hutch for some free range time. I'll not breed Jeff, but if she's a she, she can stay.

Second runt was a flopper. Couldn't stand upright or coordinate eating and drinking and died after a few days pointless nursing.

What I take from this is to treat them as normal hatchlings and they will shape up or not.

My first runt was a very late hatcher with wobbly legs. I put him in with the others. He wobbled and hopped to the food by himself. His growth was behind, but he was full of beans, fitted in with the group and gave as good as he got. He spent a long time half size, but now they are seven weeks and nearly full weight he, or she(!), is almost caught up. "Runty Jeff/Janet" has the most personality of the lot and is always the first to popcorn out of the hutch for some free range time. I'll not breed Jeff, but if she's a she, she can stay.

Second runt was a flopper. Couldn't stand upright or coordinate eating and drinking and died after a few days pointless nursing.

What I take from this is to treat them as normal hatchlings and they will shape up or not.
That's how I see it. I would keep the first example, but not the second. If I am what is keeping them alive (besides obvious chick needs like heat, food and water), then for me it's a no go. I won't go through the heartache again

Back
Top Bottom