What to do with sex link males

mrslb333

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Trying to figure out what to do with the boys I hatch. If they were pure breed I could sell them on but I'm thinking theres not going to be much demand for cross breed boys. Is the only option to dispatch them?
sad.png

Raise and eat them yourself? Or advertise them for raising and eating on one of those self-sufficiency smallholders websites. there are quite a few, if you google and look. I was asking the same question about culls the other day, as I really don't think I could despatch a tiny little day-old fluffy cutie-pie. If you do come up with a good solution for them, please let me know!

Fred's Hens :

Here, there are those few folks who will take them for meat birds. That usually means for free. Which is fine.

I'd just as soon raise them for meaties for myself!​

Last edited:
Quote:
I can cope with culling sick babies but this seems wrong as they are fit and healthy. As for meat birds the problem I have would be the neighbors complaining about crowing plus I'm not sure i could eat one of my babies. I might go with advertising them as meat birds or find someone who has a bird of prey or reptile who can use them as food
hmm.png

Quote:
I can cope with culling sick babies but this seems wrong as they are fit and healthy. As for meat birds the problem I have would be the neighbors complaining about crowing plus I'm not sure i could eat one of my babies. I might go with advertising them as meat birds or find someone who has a bird of prey or reptile who can use them as food
hmm.png

From here it looks like the better option would be to give them away for meat to someone who could use them. I am having a hard time with the idea you can't process them .. okay, understandable but you could give them to somebody who will use them on their prey birds? You do realize most folks looking for that use live birds to train their prey bird and they get torn apart and hopefully die quickly.....

Just advertise them as what they are, let your buyers decide what they'll do with them. The sex-linked males here usually grow nice & big and are welcome guests at my table when they're grown. Sell or give them away as young as possible, you shouldn't have much trouble finding takers.

Quote:
hmm.png

From here it looks like the better option would be to give them away for meat to someone who could use them. I am having a hard time with the idea you can't process them .. okay, understandable but you could give them to somebody who will use them on their prey birds? You do realize most folks looking for that use live birds to train their prey bird and they get torn apart and hopefully die quickly.....

I never gave thought that people would use them live. I can just remember at college feeding owls chicks that had been previously frozen. So that idea is off the table.
I think I'm going with the meat bird option I was just seeing if there were any other options for them.

Back
Top Bottom