1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with the old coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nikkimay, Sep 18, 2009.

1. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    We're very close to finishing a new and improved coop, and I'm wondering what we should do with the old one. (it can be seen in the link in my signature)

We built it in our backyard, and it won't fit through the fence, so it will have to be disassembled to get it out of there.

Do you think we could try to sell it on Craigslist - with the stipulation that the buyer had to take it apart and get it out of there?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Get more chickens?

3. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    I would keep it in case you need to separate somebody due to injury or you get new chicks that need a place to hang until they can be introduced. Besides it is way cute!

4. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    yes yes yes! get more chickens!!!! or ducks or geese or turkeys! yeah - turkeys!!!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's your new brooder coop, breeder pen... solitary confinement for bad chickens, place to put new chickens to make certain they are healthy... the list goes on and on

Oh... or get more chickens.

6. Over Easy in Adna

Over Easy in Adna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Adna Washington
    Boy did you ask the wrong crowd.....

[​IMG]

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    give it to me...

8. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Thanks for all the quick responses.

Our new coop is much bigger (i'll post pictures soon) so we are already thinking of getting more girls.

The reason I didn't want to use the old one anymore is that it isn't very secure - I wouldn't trust it to be predator proof overnight, and it's definitely not rat proof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by