What to do with this nasty floor?!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MESOFRUFFEH, Sep 28, 2015.

1. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

DE would kill a lot of the bugs need to speed up composition. If you have any ammonia problems, you need to find out where the moisture is coming from. One possible source is your water supply. If possible, put the waterer in the run. Ventilation is VERY important, this can not be stressed strongly enough. Ventilation will remove a lot of moisture from your coop.

Poop boards are not necessary with deep bedding. But that is a personal call.

1 person likes this.
  2. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    First off, I think your coop is adorable!! A coat of paint and it would be even more adorable! Mine just looks so trashy to me lol. I think that is what I might do to mine next year, give it a fresh coat of paint and see if I can't frame around the door and the window. And you pretty much answered all of my questions that I had about the deep litter lol. That really was my thinking when I put all of that hay and the shavings in the coop, was that they would just sort of decompose eventually, really all it sounds like I need to do is to add more litter to the floor!! I have a bunch of grass clippings that I think I will haul down there tonight and toss on the floor. And there are PLENTY of leaves I could rake up and use as well. I might also go get some hay too because it smells so fresh. I think most of my floor has compacted and everything is just dusty now since it has been so dry. I think a new layer is all I need to rejuvenate everything, I remember how nice it was when we put the hay and shavings down earlier this year and now it just feels so nasty.

And unfortunately I don't have a Gordman's :( but we do have a dollar store that usually carries a lot of little cute things like that, I will have to go shopping!!

3. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    I currently don't really have any sort of odor in the coop, other than just dirt lol. I just wasn't sure if that would be a future issue. I use a bucket with poultry nipples inside the coop for both the big chickens and the chicks that are now in a cage in the coop as well. I hate having to deal with dirty water. I think the only moisture I would have would be from the bottom of the floor due to rain coming in under the wall. I don't think I will go the poop board route lol, I will let the chickens mix it up by throwing some scratch in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!! I think I will try the deep litter method, I did not realize that it was that easy and I had already essentially started it! Learn something new every day! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. RedDol

RedDol Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2015
    Waxahachie, Tx
    I use straw. I have heard that nothing eats straw so it doesn't attract bugs. But don't your chickens eat bugs? My "coop" is just chain link right now with roosts and nesting boxes and a roof. I'll have to add something for the winter I'm sure.

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree to fix the drainage problem first. I've not been able to use it in my coops or pens yet, but in our horse paddock we brought in a few loads of decomposed granite and it fixed our mud problem quite nicely. If you could strip the bedding down to the bare floor, bring in a load of decomposed granite or whatever local product you have that would be similar, I think you'd be a good step ahead to fixing some drainage, simply because the interior of the coop would be higher than the outside.

After that, go deep litter all the way.

1 person likes this.
  6. NatureChica

NatureChica Chillin' With My Peeps

In the times when people used straw in their mattresses they encountered all sorts of bug problems so please keep that in mind.
    Also, my straw bedding I used back in the day has serious soggy issues. I got sick of changing it out regularly...it was a soggy,heavy pain. It works for some but not for all. I wanted something drier, more low maintenance.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  8. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm really envious of your dirt floor! Would love to have one in my coop as I do deep litter but the lay of our land didn't allow for it. That being said, I'm not envious of your flooding problem. I've had that situation before and it's not fun.

Fix your flooding issue first. We used sandbags against our tractor that was flooding and that is a great beginning as it at least keeps the water out. For a permanent fix you'll probably need to dig a drainage ditch or do something similar. You can get empty sandbags at a store like Home Depot and then buy the sand and fill them yourself.

Once your flooding issue is resolved, my thought would be to next predator proof the coop with an apron of hardware cloth or something similar to prevent predators from digging in. The prettiest coop in the world isn't worth a flat nickle if your birds get eaten.

Finally, I'd go with deep litter as deep litter and dirt floored coops are a marriage made in chicken heaven! Keep adding organic material to what's in there, anything you can get your hands on. Straw, pine shavings, mulch, sawdust, leaves, leaves, did I mention leaves?, shredded paper, peat moss, etc. The crawly critters and microbes in the soil will work with the poo and the litter to create the most beautiful compost you've ever seen. The chickens love it as the deep litter brings bugs from the soil and they get a little snack. There is no odor with property done deep litter and - should you smell something - that's your signal to add more organic matter.

Word of caution - if you go with deep litter, do not get DE - Diatomaceous Earth - anywhere near the coop. The DE will kill the bugs, critters, microbes that are necessary for deep litter to break down and you'll be left with a fetid, stinking mess. Same thing goes for any pesticide. You need and want those critters for Deep Litter to work.

Best of luck with your coop and enjoy your chickens.

1 person likes this.
  9. NatureChica

NatureChica Chillin' With My Peeps

My comment was in reference to this comment made by @spoikey
    :)

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.