what to do with too many males?

GandalfGoose

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
We have guinea fowl that we got for pest patrol, because all the other methods that we tried did nothing to get rid of the crazy amount of ticks at our place. I went with the guineas because we do use eggs, so that wouldn't be a big problem and we have not let the raise any keets of their own. However, we lost some of our female guineas to pneumonia over the summer, so now we have too many males and they are just beating each other up. Strangely enough, the males are not beating up on each other, but rather seriously picking on the females. So I think we need to reduce our male population. However, I had never planned on having to cull anything from our flock because I was very careful in the beginning to make sure we didn't have too many males or to let them raise any excess young. I have to admit I am just a softy and really don't want to kill anything, especially something I raised. I was wondering what your suggestions would be for reducing the amount of males before they hurt the females. I really don't want to kill anything, but if I had to the meat would not go to waste as I know people that would eat it or at the very least our dogs would get it. Suggestions anyone?

I am in northeast Ohio, pretty close to Cleveland. I really don't want to sell them or give them to anyone else as I have had some very bad experiences in that area in the past and just don't really trust it as an option. Ideally, I would just find some more that are guaranteed females to re-balance the ratio, but I have only ever seen straight run advertised and the likelihood that I would get a straight run batch of all females seems very slim!
big_smile.png
I was hoping to see if anyone had a creative suggestion that I had thought of yet.

Back
Top Bottom