What to do?

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
I have an Americana, she's well over two years old, and hasn't laid an egg in over a year.
She's not eating well, and is almost just feathers and bones.

I'm wondering if a nice hot bowl of chicken soup might bring her back around?

I have an Americana, she's well over two years old, and hasn't laid an egg in over a year.
She's not eating well, and is almost just feathers and bones.

I'm wondering if a nice hot bowl of chicken soup might bring her back around?
Your Amerikinda would probably appreciate sitting in a hot bowl of soup for a bit, yes. Helps loosen up the old joints. Maybe at a low simmer for a day? :pop

is almost just feathers and bones.
If the bird is not infected, you are better off making chicken stock, broth or soup.
Or,
try segregating the bird. nutridench, high protein diet, carbs such as cracked corn(boiled).
If she is not eating well, it might be an outcast weak bird not allowed to eat with the group.
Separating her with her own quarters such as a large kennel, might put weight on her. You would have 2 things to gain. one would be.. eggs, it's takes nutrition to produce eggs. two, she would yield more meat being fed and housed away from the young and strong bullies.
Or just cull, pluck, brine & dine now..

This is pinky.. she was all skin and bones. no feathers because the group used her for a pecking stone. She was named Pinky because she had no back feathers left. I threw her out to my total free rangers last year to either save her from the bullies or to let her die peacefully in a free environment.
20180107_133511.jpg
Pinky now has a beautiful coat and gives me 27 eggs a month.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom