We have had a few cold nights in the low 20s before t it is usually in the 30s. but January is when it gets cold and stays that way for a couple of months. She has always slept in the nest box and I put a lot of straw in there but she scratched it out. I put a stuffed animal in there and she wouldn’t sleep in there at all, she slept on the floor of the coop. She is clearly distraught and I am worse than she is. I have never seen any worms in her poop but I did worm her about 3 months ago. I usually worm them(her) no more than once a year. I know how stressful molting is on their body and she just finished molting, actually she still is on top of her head. To go through molting again so soon and add the fact she is grieving and eating so little. I am going to try scrambled eggs. I used to feed scrambled eggs to her but after a while she got disinterested in them so I may try them again. I also have some whole oats. When I let her free range I sit out side the whole time and watch what is going on, She will walk up and down their fence and they seem curious but tense. I thought about removing one of the pickets and fence off an area inside their pen so she could walk in and out of there but they couldn’t. The 5 hens (about 9 months old) are as wild as cranes. Once they are out you can’t catch them. So if Scarlett has an area where she can go in there but they can’t come out. It might help her adjust. I just feel such compassion for her because she doesn’t understand. It’s supposed to rain today. I apologize for rambling on I am just thinking out loud. I have found that quite a few people do not understand people who love chickens. I have two daughters that whenever I get to going on about my girls, I can see them exchange a look between themselves. Yesterday as I was talking to my daughter about the grieving Scarlet my daughter said “mom she’s just an animal”. When posting here I feel am around others of like mind
Yes! My animals are ALL I have left

You are, there are always some chickens more special than others. :hugs

They just lack the experience, young as they are.
The other chicken that is left Scarlett is STILL not eating. !!! By looking at her food bowl it hasn’t been touched. There is usually some seeds scattered around. I offer her all of her favorite treats but she never takes over a bite. I have made her scrambled eggs which she normally like. some were cat food but she won’t eat. She comes out under her he deck during the day and I have put a whole bunch of straw under there and I go out during the day and check on her. And she molting or seems to be. She grooms herself and the feathers on top of her head are sparse like they do when they molt and there are feathers around. It might be a light molt I just don’t know. I may be trying for nothing. Is there anything I could do to stimulate her appetit?

Back
Top Bottom