What to do??

doghamstyluv95

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2007
My 3 year old RIR has recently become sick. There are no avian or farm vets anywhere around here. This first started about 2 or 3 weeks ago and has been progressively getting worse. She is very lethargic, she tries to eat and drink however. I have been monitoring her and I haven't seen her poop at all in the past three days. Her crop is very full all the time but its not hard, its very soft. The top of her comb has turned a purplish color. Please help, I really don't know what to do!

Oh my! That sounds serious! Maybe isolate her from the rest of the flock, plenty of electrolytes and vitamins (I use Polyvisol, childrens liquid vitamins, which can be found at any drugstore) Other than that, I have no clue what to do, I'm so sorry. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Any other symptoms?
Put Sav-A-Chik in her water. Mix some feed with warm water & make a slurry; see if she'll eat that. Keep her warm.
I will research.
Most common: lymphoid leukosis, paratyphoid. tuberculosis
Not common: chronic cholera, inf. synovitis
Rare: aspergillosis, ergotism, spirochetosis, influenza

Hi, my 3 year old BO died last year, she had the purple comb and was real tired. Since she laid so many eggs in her life, my guess was that she died of Heart failure.

Have you tried to look in her throat? the purple comb sounds like she's not getting a healthy intake of oxygen. Have you seen her yawning? Gapeworm maybe?

Back
Top Bottom