What To Expect?

Mother_Hen2011

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
New Mexico
I got my Buff/Orpington hen and drake pair in April from TSC when they were just weee little ducklings. They have since grown into a very joyous pair. I love them so much. They are totally committed to each other. The love between them is never ending
smile.png
love.gif

Anyways I know they probably wont lay until the spring time but was wondering if my hen will automatically set on her eggs or not? Should I gather them or see if she will set when she does start laying. I know for a fact they should all be fertile (Since they mate constantly.
tongue.png
) So can anyone help me understand this please? Lol First time Ive ever owned ducks before so if some one can help me it would be greatly appreciated
smile.png
Thanks so much in advance
big_smile.png

Quote:
I bet they were cute little babies
love.gif
..... She probably wont set right away, but eventually she may.... If you are wanting ducklings from them then I would get a incubator. Its amazing that ducks can acyually be in love. Becuz my rouen hen and drake are in love right now. And I hatched a duckling from them. Sure my drake mates with the other females, but his true mate is the rouen hen. Here is their baby
love.gif

89286_2011-11-15_161536.jpg

This is peeps.

Awwwww how adorable
tongue.png
I know whoever said ducks dont mate for life were full of crapola
tongue.png
Because I dont know where my Buff hen and drake would be without each other. lol Oh and dont listen when some one tells you they dont have mating rituals either lol Because trust me they do lol

As far as an incubator I cant afford one just yet but soon I hope. I just dont feel comfortable to eat duck eggs that I know are fertile lol just odd to me. I know my chicken eggs arent fertile but duck eggs are for sure(not that Im getting any duck eggs yet anyways. Lol)

eventually I want her to set them and hatch them her self
tongue.png
Id love for her to set them Naturally
smile.png

Quote:
Yes, they do mate for life! I dont know where my rouens would be without each other either. they do love eachother, and my rouen hen tryed to set this year, but I didnt let her becuz it was to cold. I wish I would have let her though
hit.gif
and thank you, he is pretty cute...

if any of my duckies EVER go broody then I would totally let them hatch, its like people having kids, totally natural. I have always been in love with your buff ducks, and would love to see her hatch some ducklings too! I hope she sets next year for you
fl.gif

Quote:
Yes, they do mate for life! I dont know where my rouens would be without each other either. they do love eachother, and my rouen hen tryed to set this year, but I didnt let her becuz it was to cold. I wish I would have let her though
hit.gif
and thank you, he is pretty cute...

if any of my duckies EVER go broody then I would totally let them hatch, its like people having kids, totally natural. I have always been in love with your buff ducks, and would love to see her hatch some ducklings too! I hope she sets next year for you
fl.gif

Awww why thank you so much
tongue.png
I thought that I wouldnt like ducks but I just cant get enough of them. I would have more than two if I knew they wouldnt bother what Quackerz and Cheeze have together
tongue.png
They dont like to be handled either little terds but oh well I enjoy them from a distance
smile.png
Its better for the espeacially if she starts to set some eggs next year
smile.png
I really hope so I think shes going to be and excellent mother. (Quackerz is the hen and Cheeze of course is the Drake.
tongue.png
)

Back
Top Bottom