What to feed *adult* Bobwhite Quail?

grouse

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
My Bobwhites are a little over 2 months old at this point and I've been feeding them Purina Startena Game Bird Chow with 30% protein since day one. The bag says 0 to 6 weeks though, and they're about 9 weeks old at this point. Is it okay to keep feeding them this? I'm about to run out of my last bag of it so when I go to buy more feed I'd like to know if I should buy more Startena or switch to something else instead, like Layena Game Bird Chow. I've read a few reports on here about starter feed/medicated feed (although I'm not sure if the Startena is medicated or not) being bad for older adult quail and even killing them, so I want to make sure I'm feeding them the right stuff.

Some feed stores have a game bird ration for adult birds. It should be good and some of the wiser guys will tell you what's best. I feed most every critter hen scratch. Quails really seem to like the milo, as do rollers. Chickens on the other hand will eat the corn chops first and leave milo til last and rollers just the opposite - eating the milo first.

Course eventually they will need some grit or oyster shell if you keep em up.

You May Leave Them On The Starter Or Switch Them To Gamebird Maintenance. Either Is Fine. Personally All My Gamebirds Get The Purina Startrena From Hatch To Dispatch. This Provides For Full Sized Healthy Birds With Good Feathering And High Lay Rates. If You Feed Them Gamebird Ration There Is No Need For Oyster Shell.... Grit Is A Personal Preference.

I feed mine a mixture of gamebird/turkey starter with finch mix. Also I give them greens (cabbage, alfalfa) and all my quail (bobwhite and coturnix) do just fine on that mixture

Back
Top Bottom