What to feed all different age groups that house together??

askjcm2005

Songster
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
San Diego
Hello: From day one I have always had all my chickens (different aged) together and never have had any issues... I have 1 month olds -5 months old but all the older ones are hens no roos. We also have 2, 5 week old pekin ducklings in with them since we currently only have 1 large pen. The ducks grew up with the chickens, specifically 2 really cool silkies and they are inseparable so I never thought that I would have to separate them. They all eat the same food for now until we make 2 more pens, 1 for silkies and 1 for polish. We are feeding medicated chick started...

-Is that okay to feed ducklings too? 5 week olds...

-I was told it would be okay to feed the older chickens (4-5 months old) until the younger ones get to be around 3 months old, is that true?

I was told that the ducks need more protein and the older chickens need more calcium. Sooo, can they all be on the same food ever? Can maybe a add in treats that the ducks get more then the chickens and vise versa? I know oyster shells are good for calcium but can the others eat them or should I feed them some twice a day without the younger ones and the ducklings getting any...I know I can feed crickets to the ducks for protein. The ducks eat lots of peas and corn, does that have protein? I just want to make sure they are all getting something that wont hurt them... What will it do if they continue to get chick started until I have no more younger chicks outside?

Any suggestions?

I have read that ducks should not be fed medicated feed. I have no experience with ducks (yet); it's just what i've read.

I use Purina Flock Raiser (i use the unmedicated), and i will continue to do so when i get my ducks. I used to use a game bird grower from my feed store, but i discovered that it contained antibiotics, and i didn't want that.

Calcium supplements, like oyster shell, can be fed in a different container for the chickens to get when they want it. They kind of know when they need it and will go to it.

My chickens free range, and i do not provide a calcium supplement (other than egg shells), and my chickens have been doing great without the oyster shell or whatever. I assume they are getting the calcium they need from the bugs they catch. We're also starting to raise crickets, so we can supplement their calcium if we need to.

I do the flock raiser now - I have guineas, ducks, chickens of all ages etc and they do well on it as their primary food. - I used to feed a mix of unmedicated waterfowl starter with layer pellets to them all to average it out - and it did fine as well - but cheaper/simpler to feed nonmedicated flock raiser - one bag no mixing and all is well in my world - lol.

I changed to Purina Flock Raiser recently. Added oyster shell in a tuna can near the feeder for any who are laying. Thus far it has worked great. They appear to like this better and with the new feeder are not billing or scratching out so much...so glad to see the feed actually making into the chicken!
frow.gif

Boo-Boo's Mama :

I changed to Purina Flock Raiser recently. Added oyster shell in a tuna can near the feeder for any who are laying. Thus far it has worked great. They appear to like this better and with the new feeder are not billing or scratching out so much...so glad to see the feed actually making into the chicken!
frow.gif

Okay. I will have to look and see if my local feed stores sell that, I am sure they do. Currently I am feeding Purina Medicated Start and Grow...

If you dont mind me asking what kind of feeder did you get? Mine LOVE to kick it out and I am sick of coming home to empty feeders with all the food on the floor!

Thanks for everyone's feedback!​

Back
Top Bottom