What to feed breeder turkeys in the winter?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Farmerboy16, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    I have 9 bourbon red turkeys that are over a year old, I got them as day-old poults. I had fed them laying mash, and scratch last winter, but want to make sure that I am feeding them right. Can I feed them just scratch for its cheaper, or a combination of scratch and something. Thanks.

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Some feed companies make a "flock keeper" feed that is similar to laying mash but has a little more protein and a little less calcium. I don't know if the extra calcium is bad for birds that are not laying. I can't find that around here, so I fed mine meat maker until the middle of February, then switched to gamebird layer for the breeding season. I think what you feed them is much less critical if they can do some natural foraging all winter, but around here it's just snow!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    What ever you feed them should come out to between 20-24% protein. Purina Flock Raiser would do it or most any gamebird grower or breeder feed.

I mix layer feed (16%) and gamebird starter (28%) half and half for mine though this winter I'll probably start buying gamebird breeder feed since I'll have enough birds to justify the bother.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I feed mine Flock Raiser - 20% protein.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    me too.

6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Scratch should only be fed as a treat, never as a diet! Its about 8% protien. The should have about 20% feed. If you need a cheaper feed then get fewer birds.

7. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Thanks everyone for the advice on the feed. [​IMG] I will go to the local feed mill sometime this week to see what they have. [​IMG]

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I use Purina Flock Raiser, and I offer cracked corn as their bedtime snack. They love their snack, and Mr. Turkey, my Royal Palm, will come onto the front porch, and peek in the window and chirp at me. It's like he's saying, "It's almost corn time! Come outside please!"

[​IMG]
    I love it!

9. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I feed game bird maintenance along with stale bread and a little corn and a month before I want to hatch eggs I go to game bird breeder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by