What to feed Chickens and Ducks

jennyman

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
I am a new to backyard flocks and my babies are coming in May. I have done a lot of research into organic feed. I am looking at Coyote Creek for feed. I am so confused with maintenance feed. What is that? What are some recommendations for that? Any advice into feed would be much appreciated!

I would look for a good all flock or flock raiser ration which will be formulated for multiple species. You will just need to provide a separate bowl of oyster shells for the extra calcium needs of any laying hens.

Feeds are generally formulated for different parts of a birds life. Such as starter (generally about 20% protein, 1% calcium), grower / maintenance (14 to 18% protein, 1% calcium), and layer (16ish% protein, 3% calcium). The name on the bag of feed let's you know what stage of life it's intended for.

Some brands of feed lower the protein level of their starter so they can just make a starter that you can feed until it's time to switch to layer.

Some decide to feed an all flock instead of layer. I've tried that, and while it works for many, it did not always work for some my birds. Had some birds that had no idea the oyster shell was their calcium supply. They layed soft shell and supper thin shelled eggs.

Not knocking that feeding style, it just didn't work out for me.

Also if you have waterfowl coming in, I highly recommend supplementing Niacin. The easiest way I have found is to mix BVS chick vitamins in their water. One half teaspoon makes 3 gallons of water.

https://www.qcsupply.com/549992-bvs...rm8L_e3OFTRutr9TUyIBb1CakoqYFjtBoCdLQQAvD_BwE

Feeds are generally formulated for different parts of a birds life. Such as starter (generally about 20% protein, 1% calcium), grower / maintenance (14 to 18% protein, 1% calcium), and layer (16ish% protein, 3% calcium). The name on the bag of feed let's you know what stage of life it's intended for.

Some brands of feed lower the protein level of their starter so they can just make a starter that you can feed until it's time to switch to layer.

Some decide to feed an all flock instead of layer. I've tried that, and while it works for many, it did not always work for some my birds. Had some birds that had no idea the oyster shell was their calcium supply. They layed soft shell and supper thin shelled eggs.

Not knocking that feeding style, it just didn't work out for me.

Also if you have waterfowl coming in, I highly recommend supplementing Niacin. The easiest way I have found is to mix BVS chick vitamins in their water. One half teaspoon makes 3 gallons of water.

https://www.qcsupply.com/549992-bvs...rm8L_e3OFTRutr9TUyIBb1CakoqYFjtBoCdLQQAvD_BwE
Thank you for the ideas/information! Do you have any experience with using Rooster Booster with your ducks?

Rooster booster is made by the same people that make poultry Booster. Many have used them with good results so it's a quality product. Bit no I have not used either one.

I did my research on vitamin packs years ago, and the one I linked above was best for me as it had the most Niacin for the ducks. You could also skip the vitamin packs and just do straight Niacin from any Walmart, CVS, Amazon, etc.

Just make sure it's NOT the flush free version. The flush free version does absolutely nothing for any waterfowl, not just ducks. The regular Niacin is available as a pill (that you need to crush), powder, or liquid.

I used to have the mg to water ratio memorized but I'd have to go to Metzer's info or Dave Holdreds book and look it up now.

I am a new to backyard flocks and my babies are coming in May. I have done a lot of research into organic feed. I am looking at Coyote Creek for feed. I am so confused with maintenance feed. What is that? What are some recommendations for that? Any advice into feed would be much appreciated!
Special waterfowl pellets are available in some areas, but regular chicken layer feed is fine for laying ducks. However, ducks (especially growing ducklings) need more niacin than chickens do, so adding brewer's yeast to their feed in a 5% ratio is recommended.

Special waterfowl pellets are available in some areas, but regular chicken layer feed is fine for laying ducks. However, ducks (especially growing ducklings) need more niacin than chickens do, so adding brewer's yeast to their feed in a 5% ratio is recommended.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom