what to feed different age groups?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Swamp Roo, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    I have one run and coop with two different age groups in them. I have three 6-7 week olds, and six 4 week olds. Unfortunately I am about out of starter crumbles, and realize the that older chicks are about at an age to switch to adult feed, but the younger ones aren't there yet. Since I can't separate them what should I do, buy another bag of starter, or switch to grower? I have a feeling I should stick with the starter for another bags worth, but I am too new to rely on my gut reactions. Thanks

2. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    mine are fed medicated chick starter until they are 17 weeks old.
    i dont ever need grower, as mine have all turned out well, they are in perfect health and weight.. i do not eat mine, so i do not use grower.. thats what grower was first made for. i know now, people use it for maturing chicks.. but i dont. if i were u id keep them on starter.

3. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    If you are feeding start and grow by Purina you can leave them all on it until the 6 week olds are 18 weeks and the smaller ones are just a couple weeks behind them so you can switch them all at the same time to layer and it will not hurt the younger ones to be switched at 14 or 15 weeks. The 6 week olds are much to young for adult feed yet too much calcium in the formula for very young pullets. That is what I have been told by Purina and my feed store lady who has been raising chickens for 30 years. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  4. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    I usually keep all my young chicks on starter until they start laying. this has always worked for us when we had chicks of different ages. starter feed will not hurt older chickens, they just don't use all the protein that is in the feed. on the otherhand, laying ration is not good for those who have not started laying yet, to much calcium and hormones.

5. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Thanks, I'll stay with starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by