What to feed hatchlings!

Wilder92

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2022
I have ducklings in the process of hatching! I bought purina duck chow and have ground it up into crumbles along with nutritional yeast. Is this the best to feed to them? I also bought some grit. Do you add the grit to your food or in a separate bowl? Also when can they start having things like meal worms and fruits and veggies? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is it actually called Purina Duck Chow? I'm seeing some pictures, but I can't find the actual product. I've fed mine Purina pellets since they were 2 days old without issue though.

You'll want to put grit in a separate bowl. I waited about a week or so before giving mine some leafy greens and eventually mealworms.

Is it actually called Purina Duck Chow? I'm seeing some pictures but
No sorry it’s just this! Don’t know where I got chow from lol 🤦‍♀️I’ve been up since 4am so I’m not all here apparently!

Attachments

• 3B25D28A-FA33-4EDD-9F57-7C471FB57DC6.png
    3B25D28A-FA33-4EDD-9F57-7C471FB57DC6.png
    522.8 KB · Views: 2
No sorry it’s just this! Don’t know where I got chow from lol 🤦‍♀️I’ve been up since 4am so I’m not all here apparently!
All good! They use the 'chow' label on some of their other products, so I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. I've been very happy with the pellets. The only complaints I've had regarding feed is when I tried other brands or flock raiser.

A little extra yeast probably wouldn't hurt, but I felt confident my ducklings were hitting their niacin requirements on the pellets alone. Only my biggest Pekin needed a little extra, so she got some Vitamin B Complex. The pellets are specifically formulated to break down quick when wet too, so I wouldn't go through too much hassle grinding them up every time. My ducklings never had any issues swallowing them.

All good! They use the 'chow' label on some of their other products, so I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. I've been very happy with the pellets. The only complaints I've had regarding feed is when I tried other brands or flock raiser.

A little extra yeast probably wouldn't hurt, but I felt confident my ducklings were hitting their niacin requirements on the pellets alone. Only my biggest Pekin needed a little extra, so she got some Vitamin B Complex. The pellets are specifically formulated to break down quick when wet too, so I wouldn't go through too much hassle grinding them up every time. My ducklings never had any issues swallowing them.
Perfect! What about grit? Do you use that at all? Deciding if I should return it.

Perfect! What about grit? Do you use that at all? Deciding if I should return it.
I probably wouldn't put it out to start, but they'll 100% need grit if you feed them anything besides the pellets. Best to start them out on chick grit if you give them treats when they're small.

Now that mine are older they have access to a bowl of grit out in the run whenever they need it.

I probably wouldn't put it out to start, but they'll 100% need grit if you feed them anything besides the pellets. Best to start them out on chick grit if you give them treats when they're small.

Now that mine are older they have access to a bowl of grit out in the run whenever they need it.
Awesome thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom