What to feed hen with gout?

Tonight Fleur didn't want to come inside - she was enjoying eating shavings, of all things....I decided to let her do it since it seemed to make her happy - and when I finally grabbed her to take her inside, her toes were red. I felt them and they were cold, not ice cold, but still quite cold. I have her in my room with the space heater running, I want her to warm up before we put her through treatments....

Just finished with her nighttime treatments. We tried to drain her abscess more, but only blood came out, which I suppose is good. But I feel terrible for having stabbed her more. Here are the pictures of her feet tonight - the abscess is before we tried to drain it. We didn't get to her treatment until after dark, so she was exhausted, and wanted to go to sleep as soon as I got her to her sleeping space.

Attachments

• 20211119_185712.jpg
    20211119_185712.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211119_184124.jpg
    20211119_184124.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211119_183957.jpg
    20211119_183957.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211119_184005.jpg
    20211119_184005.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 4
So sorry for your loss. Did the vet think that she had anything else besides the gout?
Thank you. Not anything that killed her, no. Just the bumblefoot and scaly leg mites. I'm not sure why the vomiting was happening...maybe because she was drinking so much. Her crop was rather balloon-like from it. I massaged it, but any time it began to empty she drank more.

Thank you. Not anything that killed her, no. Just the bumblefoot and scaly leg mites. I'm not sure why the vomiting was happening...maybe because she was drinking so much. Her crop was rather balloon-like from it. I massaged it, but any time it began to empty she drank more.
Sorry for your loss.
Next time do not massage a crop that is full of liquid.
You can push liquid out of the crop and down into their lungs by doing this.

I'm worried about the rest of my girls getting gout as well, from eating layer feed year round. They're all 7 years old, so starting to slow down with egg production, most likely. (I don't keep count...I really should.) Do you think the Dumor 17% all flock feed is a good choice for their new feed?

Back
Top Bottom