What to Feed Meat Birds Without Broiler Feed?

Thank you! I will try that!
Feed for about 4-10 days before butchering to get a good fat layer on your bird(s), you plan on butchering. Can go longer if needed, but too much fat would have to be removed. I set my extra fat aside, & freeze it so I can render it down into schmaltz.

Last edited:
Feed for about 4-10 days before butchering to get a good fat layer on your bird(s), you plan on butchering. Can go longer if needed, but too much fat would have to be removed. I set my extra fat aside, & freeze it so I can render I down into schmaltz.
I will keep that in mind!! A plump chicken is a good chicken 😋

It's funny you ask this question right now. I am raising my current batch of Cornish X on non-commercial feed. I feed a variety of things, including cat food, beans, rice, a 5-grain scratch mix (that's the closest thing to commercial feed they are getting - it's a DuMor brand scratch), canned fish, pasta, oats, whatever greens I have in my fridge, and just general kitchen scraps.

It's an experiment, but so far they are the most active and "normal"/chicken-like batch of CX I've had. They run around and scratch at the ground like normal chickens. I haven't weighed them, but they only look slightly under the weight my other batches of CX have been at this point (5 weeks), and I'm okay with that. They seem healthy and happy.

As for alternative commercial feeds for broilers when you can't get a feed labeled "broiler" at the store, I usually get chick feed - 18% protein. I like feeding 18% protein because I don't get the leg issues many people see. They grow at a more normal rate. Higher protein for the first 2 weeks is alright, but after that I think it can be harmful.

EDIT: I should mention that this advice is mostly geared toward Cornish X and Ranger meat chickens. Those are the only broilers I've raised so far.

It's funny you ask this question right now. I am raising my current batch of Cornish X on non-commercial feed. I feed a variety of things, including cat food, beans, rice, a 5-grain scratch mix (that's the closest thing to commercial feed they are getting - it's a DuMor brand scratch), canned fish, pasta, oats, whatever greens I have in my fridge, and just general kitchen scraps.

It's an experiment, but so far they are the most active and "normal"/chicken-like batch of CX I've had. They run around and scratch at the ground like normal chickens. I haven't weighed them, but they only look slightly under the weight my other batches of CX have been at this point (5 weeks), and I'm okay with that. They seem healthy and happy.

As for alternative commercial feeds for broilers when you can't get a feed labeled "broiler" at the store, I usually get chick feed - 18% protein. I like feeding 18% protein because I don't get the leg issues many people see. They grow at a more normal rate. Higher protein for the first 2 weeks is alright, but after that I think it can be harmful.

EDIT: I should mention that this advice is mostly geared toward Cornish X and Ranger meat chickens. Those are the only broilers I've raised so far.
Thank you for this response! I plan on raising dual purpose, but I will try that!
Other comments on here said to feed them alot of scratch feed in their last week or 2 of life and that will get them nice and plump before butchering. I may do a combination of your tips and theirs!

Thank you for this response! I plan on raising dual purpose, but I will try that!
Other comments on here said to feed them alot of scratch feed in their last week or 2 of life and that will get them nice and plump before butchering. I may do a combination of your tips and theirs!
No problem! And yes, many people do go a little lower on the protein at the end to fatten them up a bit. When I am using commercial feed and the main food source, I'll just supplement with cracked corn at the end. Scratch will do the same.

I'm probably going to make a post about the results of my home-fed meatbirds after they are processed. So if you're interested, look out for that.

Edit: Check out this article by @Perris . It is what I have based my current feeding off of. Maybe it will be helpful to you. It opened up a whole new world for me!

No problem! And yes, many people do go a little lower on the protein at the end to fatten them up a bit. When I am using commercial feed and the main food source, I'll just supplement with cracked corn at the end. Scratch will do the same.

I'm probably going to make a post about the results of my home-fed meatbirds after they are processed. So if you're interested, look out for that.

Edit: Check out this article by @Perris . It is what I have based my current feeding off of. Maybe it will be helpful to you. It opened up a whole new world for me!
Thank you! I will be sure to check it out!

Back
Top Bottom