What to feed mixed ages?

HenPecked_bychildren

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2010
SW Florida
I have two small Frizzles(I think they are bantams). The girl I bought them from said they were born in June, so they should be laying any day now. So they should get layer feed, but we also got some that are 5 weeks old at the same time and they are together. We put them all on grower because we didn't want the frizzles on anything medicated and the starter feed said up to 8 weeks. So anyway, should they be separated, so the frizzles can be given layer? Or can put something else out for them to supplement? (obviously they need oyster shell..)

Last edited:
Quote:
I feed all my birds regardless of age Purina Flock Raiser and they are doing really well along with oyster shell. I like the 20 % protein

Yes, better to give them all grower feed than to give non-layers laying feed. Just leave oyster shell out (raise it up so it's harder for the little ones to get to easily) and the older ones will take what they need. If you supply grit the younger ones will leave the oyster shell alone for the most part and a little won't hurt them if they don't.

You could just feed the whole lot chick starter or grower with oyster shell on the side for the layers. Many folks have done this ever since the beginning of chick starter.

Or you could feed Flock Raiser as others have mentioned, again with oyster shell on the side. It's what I do. Every bird on the place but for chicks in the brooder eats Flock Raiser.

.....Alan.

Back
Top Bottom