What to feed my free range chickens

Sgrrt

Chirping
Dec 7, 2019
My flock have a good 22 acres to free range. What should I be feeding them? Should I keep food in the hen house, water? Or should I keep everything out of the house? Should they have separate pans for scratch feed, oyster shell, grit cracked corn or whole corn inside or outside the house. They love when I make them oatmeal in the morning.

Do you have hens or roosters too?
If hens that are laying, I recommend layer feed. If you have roos also, then all flock, but you’ll need to supply oyster shell.
You don’t need a pan for scratch, as it’s best to only use small amounts, and if they’re outside, I’d scatter it so they can “scratch” for it.
Whether to keep water in the coop depends on you.... I always used to keep my waterers in my coop. When I moved them outside is was to prevent humidity in the coop and to keep them cleaner, as my coop is dirt floor. However, keeping water outside means getting out early every morning so they can get out to it. For me, it means no sleeping in. (I don’t anyway.)
I don’t keep food in the coop, because of the rodents it attracts. My feeders are outside in their run.
The corn, you don’t need.
The grit, while necessary, is probably something they’ll find while roaming around.

Good luck!!

I hope you know they won’t roam that whole 22 acres. We have 35 acres and the other day, one chicken ventured to the barn for the first time ever....about 500 yards. They are a creature of habit and I’ve found like to stick around each other...at least here. I’m happy with that. I don’t want them off too far...predators...plus, what if they can’t find their way back? I keep water in and out of the coop. On nice days I move the feed outside. On yucky days I keep feed in and outside...to encourage them to come out, but they don’t have to. I keep oyster and grit in the coop. My eggs are tough as nails. This is a picture of the chicken that roamed the other day. Had a hard time showing her the way back!!
036C9194-1821-41CF-9572-5E18BDB3EE5D.jpeg

Your location matters to some extent. Wet/dry? Hot/cold? Local predators? Etc. you can add your general location to your profile.

Food in coop -we only add it there during very cold times so they can eat as much as possible to keep warm. Otherwise, they get food available all day long, we bring it out when we let them out in the morning. Water is available 24/7.

Because forage varies depending on time of year, it is common for folks that free-range to provide formulated feed and sometimes oyster shell to their flock for the entire day. The flock will consume it, but less of it since they are also ranging. Usually it is provided in coop or near to the coop in a protected area.

I no longer use layer feeds. The birds always have free-choice access to crushed oyster shell and a bowl of granitic grist is also available. When providing the higher end feed, it is a flock raiser provided at feeding station that is easy to check. Generally they are provided a limited ration where feed applied early in the morning last through at least noon but is completely consumed before birds go to roost. The are parts to the year when the flock raiser is cut with or entirely replaced by scratch grains. I watch the birds fairly closely for signs of needing more nutrition from feed. Ranging habits is more sensitive than egg production as indicator for need of adjustments. I have similar acreage but birds cannot use that much area. At peak I have only about 80 free-range birds and most of those are juvenile.

If hens that are laying, I recommend layer feed. If you have roos also, then all flock, but you’ll need to supply oyster shell.
You don’t need a pan for scratch, as it’s best to only use small amounts, and if they’re outside, I’d scatter it so they can “scratch” for it.
Whether to keep water in the coop depends on you.... I always used to keep my waterers in my coop. When I moved them outside is was to prevent humidity in the coop and to keep them cleaner, as my coop is dirt floor. However, keeping water outside means getting out early every morning so they can get out to it. For me, it means no sleeping in. (I don’t anyway.)
I don’t keep food in the coop, because of the rodents it attracts. My feeders are outside in their run.
The grit, while necessary, is probably something they’ll find while roaming around.

Good luck!!
I

Good luck!!
i only have hens.

Your location matters to some extent. Wet/dry? Hot/cold? Local predators? Etc. you can add your general location to your profile.

Food in coop -we only add it there during very cold times so they can eat as much as possible to keep warm. Otherwise, they get food available all day long, we bring it out when we let them out in the morning. Water is available 24/7.

Because forage varies depending on time of year, it is common for folks that free-range to provide formulated feed and sometimes oyster shell to their flock for the entire day. The flock will consume it, but less of it since they are also ranging. Usually it is provided in coop or near to the coop in a protected area.
I live in central Florida so forage is always available except for bugs during the absolute coldest time . As for predators, as soon as they hear the hawks flying above they look up and run for cover. We have all types of predators, bobcats, pumas, bear plus the normal raccoons and such.

I live in central Florida so forage is always available except for bugs during the absolute coldest time . As for predators, as soon as they hear the hawks flying above they look up and run for cover. We have all types of predators, bobcats, pumas, bear plus the normal raccoons and such.

so, that’s great! Many bugs in Fl -many of unusual size. Yum! Of course, also means there is ample opportunity for rodents or predators. @cmom is an experienced Fl BYCer, maybe they will offer some advice.

We have a farm swap twice a month at the Dunnellon TSC. We have had it for over 10 years now. If you ever get over to our area, stop in and say Hi.
TSC2020.jpg

Back
Top Bottom