What to feed my new chicks???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MrsH527, Mar 6, 2013.

1. MrsH527

MrsH527 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    I'm sseing all of these posts about people feeding their new chicks yogurt and oatmeal and other things. I thought the food from the feed store was sufficient? Do I need to supplement with other things or will that be fine? I want my chickens to have the best life possible, but I don't want to spend a fortune on them. We are going to be eating them one day...well some of them. We are getting a nice mix of strictly layers, and some dual use birds too. I even want to find some big ol' meat birds, just cause they are huge and awesome!

What do you recommend starting my chicks off with?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The chick starter feed is completely sufficient. They don't "need" to have anything else.

3. TrufflesTheChic

TrufflesTheChic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2012
    Middle TN
    Ill actually add to this and ask, does the chick starter need to be medicated? I've always bought just regular chick starter but see others have bought medicated.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It does not have to be. I don't use it. Some people prefer it and some do not. I think it depends on a lot of factors and how you are choosing to raise your flock. I would recommend reading about amprolium (the most common medicine in medicated feed) so you can understand what it does and then decide if it is something you want or not.

5. MrsH527

MrsH527 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Thank you so much! Great info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by