What to feed? Need Advice.

Quote:
They have the same ingredients listed on the bag, so how do we know Dumor is worse than Purina? I've used both in the past & never noticed a difference.

I agree I been using Dumor the whole time and my girls a very healthy and growing strong, also I have 25 CX that are 8 weeks old Saturday and there are some 8 pounders in the bunch. They have been fed only Dumor 20% all healthly and strong. I am going to check with the local feed mill to see if I can get the feed a little cheaper.

Quote:
There again you may be right that it is not as good as Purina, but how do you know, since neither actually says what is in them??? Don't mean to be a pain, but people recommend all kinds of feed & others should go on there own personal observations. I have fed both Purina and Dumor & never noticed a difference. I quit using them both because my local feed lists ingredients, is freshly ground & does better for my flock. Just because one has a Nat'l brand name & one a generic doesn't definitely make one inferior.

just keep feeding them whatever grower you're using and offer crushed oyster shell on the side for your potential layers.
I switch to pellet form as soon as I can b/c I notice that less is wasted.

The 8 week old birds should be ok with the layer feed, the only difference is that there is a little more calcuim in one of them.
D.gif

Quote:
There again you may be right that it is not as good as Purina, but how do you know, since neither actually says what is in them???

All feed has a tag on the bag (at least if you are buying large bags) that tells you exactly what is in it. The tags give you the nutrient breakdown as well as the ingredients. The Purina website has a tutorial on how to read feed tags here .

Quote:
There again you may be right that it is not as good as Purina, but how do you know, since neither actually says what is in them??? Don't mean to be a pain, but people recommend all kinds of feed & others should go on there own personal observations. I have fed both Purina and Dumor & never noticed a difference. I quit using them both because my local feed lists ingredients, is freshly ground & does better for my flock. Just because one has a Nat'l brand name & one a generic doesn't definitely make one inferior.

Cindy I know Purnia is made in PA. I used to live in the same town and knew people that worked there. I have also used Dunmor after my first pick brand and saw and smelled a major differance in birds. Shortly after I switched I was loosing feather and poops went from small to large and very stinky. There is a thread I started that has someone commenting that Dunmors igredents are leftover rejects from making Purina better chicken feeds. Remember Dunmor is only made for TSC. I was not the only one that had this happen to them switching from a good brand to Dunmor. Luckily I went thru the bag much faster than my good brand and was able to get on it and fix what Dunmors feed did.

Quote:
There again you may be right that it is not as good as Purina, but how do you know, since neither actually says what is in them???

All feed has a tag on the bag (at least if you are buying large bags) that tells you exactly what is in it. The tags give you the nutrient breakdown as well as the ingredients. The Purina website has a tutorial on how to read feed tags here .

Link didn't really say how to read a tag (I know how to read), however my beef is what the tag says on most bagged feeds, including Purina & even organics like Nature's Best. The tags say plant protein products, grain by-products, grains etc. Where do they grow "plant protein products"? I am lucky, because my local feed says corn, soy, wheat, oats alfalfa or peas etc., depending on the type of feed I buy. I know exactly what is in the feed & I like that. Purina or anyone can say "trust me" we use the best plant proteins, but I like to know what they are using. That's just me. My bags even tell how the soybeans are treated i.e. roasted, heat processed etc. I am saying don't just blindly take someone elses word for the best feed, watch your birds.

Quote:

Cindy I know Purnia is made in PA. I used to live in the same town and knew people that worked there. I have also used Dunmor after my first pick brand and saw and smelled a major differance in birds. Shortly after I switched I was loosing feather and poops went from small to large and very stinky. There is a thread I started that has someone commenting that Dunmors igredents are leftover rejects from making Purina better chicken feeds. Remember Dunmor is only made for TSC. I was not the only one that had this happen to them switching from a good brand to Dunmor. Luckily I went thru the bag much faster than my good brand and was able to get on it and fix what Dunmors feed did.

I know what you are saying, I just never noticed a difference in their poop between Dumor or Purina. I had problems with any feed not containing animal protein with feather picking and poor feathering. Just my observations on my flock. I think just like store brand people food, some are great and others not so much. Dumor may have less quality control & maybe the few times I used it, I got good bags, who knows?

Back
Top Bottom