What to feed to get Orange yolk

I feed Kalmbach feed of some sort from 18-20% & a bit of their Henhouse Reserve expensive feed as a treat in the morning & my yokes are pretty darn orange. They get Kale & stuff when the garden is going.

Short answer is that greenery in their diet produces the carotenoids that make orange yolks. Green grass, green vegetables, just about any plant that is green and does not contain a load of oxalic acid will do the trick.

After a big crawfish boil, I dumped the shells and heads in the chicken yard. I started getting the brightest orange yolks I've ever seen. Stopped getting them after all the crawfish leftovers were gone. I believe the shells (which are orange when boiled) are rich in iodine. Eggs tasted the same.
I do this all the time also. I didn't notice near the difference as when I feed red pepper. But they love it and so do I since it means I had a good meal lol.

Marigolds are flowers. If you have some spare land, they aren't hard to grow.
You can grow in pots too - if you don’t have land. I grow in pots to put on my porch and also grow in my veggie garden for pest control.
I put a very large pot of marigolds in my chicken run last summer, within hours my girls devoured practically he entire plant 😂😂

I just got my marigolds blooming what a coincidence because I am going to feed them to my chickens

Attachments

• IMG-20220305-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20220305-WA0022.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20220305-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20220305-WA0021.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2
I have access to a restaurant that gives me fruits and lots of leafy greens,such a Brussel sprouts, lettuces and so on and my eggs are as orange as ever! I also feed wheat and barley fodder which helps tremendously as well. The vitamin that actually turns the yolks yellowed is called "xanthophylls" so I'd look at what has the most of those and feed that.

Back
Top Bottom