What to feed to get Orange yolk

Hello everyone,
I been freeding my chickens 16% layer pellets for a year now, but I change their diet a couple of months ago with winter.
I fed them cooked salmon (from an out of business restaurant due to COVID) every week maybe twice if I have the time.
Then I fed them some canned spinach and mixed veggies from that restaurant, every other day, then I ran out.
Their eggs turn very orange then gone this month, I still do the salmon but getting low in stock.
That restaurant gave me a deal to buy off his stocked canned and frozen salmon so he could sell his business.
Now I want to get this orange yolks back and I want to do it in the least expensive way.
Yes I do free range in the summer and get light orange but this spring time, I want to make sure the chickens have enough to make those orange eggs again and want help if anyone could have a list of feed that I can mix up myself to get that dark orange again. My customers loved those orange yolks and with the yolks getting pale my customers are wondering if their still healthy.
I want to start feeding them 18% protein layer just to make sure they get enough protein and energy specially roaming around in the farm.

ANYBODY HAVE A FEED MIX FOR ORANGE YOLKS?

Hi, winter time I give dried parsley.
From frontier Herb. I get a pound in a bag dried very green and put it in their food and the eggs never change from when they are range free to The winter. Also it is not expensive to buy and bulk from frontier frontier or maybe As your standard or Another call up.

t

I geom t
Hello everyone,
I been freeding my chickens 16% layer pellets for a year now, but I change their diet a couple of months ago with winter.
I fed them cooked salmon (from an out of business restaurant due to COVID) every week maybe twice if I have the time.
Then I fed them some canned spinach and mixed veggies from that restaurant, every other day, then I ran out.
Their eggs turn very orange then gone this month, I still do the salmon but getting low in stock.
That restaurant gave me a deal to buy off his stocked canned and frozen salmon so he could sell his business.
Now I want to get this orange yolks back and I want to do it in the least expensive way.
Yes I do free range in the summer and get light orange but this spring time, I want to make sure the chickens have enough to make those orange eggs again and want help if anyone could have a list of feed that I can mix up myself to get that dark orange again. My customers loved those orange yolks and with the yolks getting pale my customers are wondering if their still healthy.
I want to start feeding them 18% protein layer just to make sure they get enough protein and energy specially roaming around in the farm.

Hello everyone,

I buy dried pot dried parsley in bulk from Frontier. Just add it to their food. It's the green in the parsley.

I think the rinsed whole oats I feed mine made a difference...I get the kind in the horse section at rural king 50 pounds for 10 or 12. I hear black oil sunflower seeds to. I wanted to do that but they are priced insanely.
we grew the black oil sunflowers last year and they are also good for humans! very easy to grow and they are perfect for fence lines! you just have to harvest the heads once you see the squirrels interested. but also fun to watch squirrels run off with a giant sunflower head ;)

High carotenoids ,found in greens.Green leaf lettuce,spinich,kale.
Chickens that free range ,find their own greens.
I chop mostly green lettuce into small pieces,big bowl everyday.( for 10 hens)They eat every bite.

This may be helpful. Link to the information.

It covers the two main pigments, how they are different, natural food sources for each, and a bit about storing feed so that the pigments remain active.

Also, a bit about feeding chicks to minimize the fading of the yolk through the laying period.

You can try dehydrated alfalfa. Most feed stores carry alfalfa pellets for livestock - you can crush them and add them in with their feed and it's pretty cheap. However that will raise your protein levels in too high quantities, so I would use that with caution and do the math based on how much commercial chicken feed you're giving so you aren't causing other health issues. Yellow corn is another pigment rich feed but feeding too much of that can make hens obese. I've also heard of using carrots or red annatto seeds for pigment boosting but I don't know how much of that you'd have to feed. What other members have said is true though - the color doesn't make much of a difference to how healthy the eggs are. It's just a simple marketing gimmick. Yolk color changes on weather conditions, coop conditions, diet, stress, exercise, and also in some cases how old the hen is.

I don't remember if I mentioned this on this post before, but I fed alfalfa hay to my chickens. I had a hay feeder that would hold one flake of hay. The hens would pick at it. They liked the hay and if nothing else it kept them busy and kept them from getting bored. Bored chickens are prone to picking and other mischief.

Hi, winter time I give dried parsley.
From frontier Herb. I get a pound in a bag dried very green and put it in their food and the eggs never change from when they are range free to The winter. Also it is not expensive to buy and bulk from frontier frontier or maybe As your standard or Another call up.

t

I geom t

I buy dried pot dried parsley in bulk from Frontier. Just add it to their food. It's the green in the parsley.
I also buy from Frontier Coop . A big bag of dried parsley, sage, basil etc. All in pound bags is not expensive. Also we add organic soybeans we get from a farmer
Groats in a 50 lb bag from the UNFI CO OP is not expensive and fermented wheat berries. Wheat berries in bulk from UNFI is not expensive. Dogwood sprinkled in their feed also. Their own eggshells crushed and Nutri Balancer from Azure Standard is mixed-up in the homemade feed. They need it because we cut down on buying tons of chicken feed. Also it's organic what we purchase for them. Kaput is also high in protein. Any type beans you buy is high nutritionally BUT THE beans MUST BE COOKED. JUST PUT THEM in a crock pot or instant pot.

You want to increase their carotene.
Red clover, pumpkin, alfalfa, and marigold will darken yolk color to a dark gold color.

If you can stay away from Wheat and White Corn as it will make what a pale-yellow color.

Back
Top Bottom