What to feed Turkey's

Red Dog Ranch

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 14, 2011
I have a couple turkeys, about 8 weeks old, don't plan to butcher, just pets to watch. I was told by the feed store to feed them 30% protien crum. What else do you feed them, table scraps, meat, veggies, potatoes, etc? I got them a couple days ago and they haven't touched the crum, I first put it in normal round feeders and now dog bowls, no luck, does it take a few days for them to get use to their new home?

You can try putting dimes or quarters in their dishes, or sprinkle some feed on a peice of aluminum foil, they like shiny things. They are so nosy.

I feed mine gamebird crumbles and it is 28%.

Mine like cabbage and a little scratch for a snack.

The 30% feed is great! Dip your finger in water and then in the feed. See if they will peck the food off your finger. Also, put some paper towels on the floor and sprinkle feed all over. 8 week old poults should be eating fime. Are they too cold? Don't get too attached to feed store turkeys as they are more than likely a broad breasted meat bird. They are ment to be slaughtered at 4-6 months.

DO NOT GIVE ANY BIRDS ANY POTATOES UNTILL YOU BOIL THE POTATO PEELS!!!!!!!!
ep.gif
i CAN MAKE THEM VERY SICK OR EVEN KILL THEM
hide.gif

I take it that they did eat as to their size but I,have only had them three days."

It's been several days now and still no eating. I've put the feed on the ground, a stainless bowl, a black kettle, and hanging round feeder, with crum, scratch, bread, and no luck. The water has been in a bucket, and normal hanging round waterer, no luck. I have them within sight of my fourty pluss chickens and all they do is paise back and fourth, so I put up a tarp between them to where they can't see them and still nothing. They have shelter, straw,cover, it all. Does anyone know why these turkeys don't eat or drink? They will probably become dinner instead of pets, but if I buy others who's to say they won't do the same? Maybe a new breed, low cost maintenence, you don't have to feed them.
Puzzled!

Last edited:
Maybe cold or adjusting try having a light and peck at the food yourself. If they have taken to u as Mom this should work. If not try the "smartest " with a little on hour palm it should peck at the pink and then the crumbles. The others will follow..monkey see monkey do.

Back
Top Bottom