What to Feed Young Ducks

JenniferK

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Northern California
I have three ducks that are about six weeks old and I've been feeding them Mazuri waterfowl starter. I still bring them in at night because it's been in the 30s, but they're out most of the day now and I've noticed that when they first come in after being out foraging, their poop is much darker and less stinky. Which makes me wonder, is there something else I could feed them that would make a less stinky end product? I've read that people give layer pellets to ducks, but I'm guessing they're too young for that, and when I've offered them a handful they won't eat it anyway. If I can find a way to make them less stinky they'll get to stay in the house a little longer, but otherwise we'll be working on our duck pen this weekend!

Mazuri waterfowl is probably about as good as it gets for commercial feeds. A custom-mixed organic feed *might* be an improvement, but you really can't mimic the effect of natural foraging, where they choose the type of nutrients they need at that particular moment and get it from natural sources. Sorry!
smile.png
You could try adding greens & insects to their indoor diet--that might help.

Back
Top Bottom