What to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Peterh005, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Peterh005

Peterh005 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Adare, Ireland
    I just got new chickens and I was wondering would mixed corn be enough to feed them or should I mix it with layers pellets or something else?

2. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    get layena its the best food and i havent had any better.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You should feed some sort of layer when they are of age. Find a local mill, since Purina is in the chain stores & way overpriced.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "mixed corn" in Ireland. Our common language can sometimes cause confusion. I'm assuming you mean maize and not wheat. But then you may be talking about what I would call scratch.

It depends a bit on how you keep them. If you let them free range and forage for most of their food and only offer the corn as a treat (and only enough that they can clean up in ten to twenty minutes), then that is fine. But if it is a major part of their feed, it is not enough. Chickens, like anything else, require a balanced diet and a diet of pure corn is not balanced. Neither is a diet of pure scratch. The Layer feed contains that balanced diet plus some supplements that they would normally get free ranging on true pasture, not free ranging on a manicured lawn.

Corn, whether you mean wheat or maize, is a part of most Layer mixes. But there are other things on there to give a balance. Here is an analysis I copied a while back. That Lysine and Methionine are supplements I mentioned. Layer also has the extra calcium that laying hens need for the egg shells. What some of us do, especially if we have mixed aged flocks where the chicks should not be eating the extra calcium is feed all of them Grower or something else and offer oyster shell on the side. That's where this comparison came from.

16% Layer 15% Grower Flock Raiser
    Protein 16 15 20
    Lysine 0.7 0.65 0.95
    Methionine 0.35 0.29 0.35
    Crude Fat 2.5 2.7 3.5
    Crude Fiber 7 5 5
    Min Calcium 3.8 0.6 0.8
    Max Calcium 4.8 1.1 1.3
    Phosphorus 0.5 0.6 0.7
    Min Salt 0.25 0.2 0.35
    Max Salt 0.75 0.4 0.85

Good luck! Hope this helps.